Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Use salt test results for CSI in a non-SWG pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Use salt test results for CSI in a non-SWG pool?

I've been using TFP and Pool Math for over 2 years, with success and great satisfaction. This summer I switched from the TF-100 test kit to Taylor K-2006C (not because of any problem with the TF kit). The Taylor kit has a salt test, so I've been testing the salt level. I do not have a SWG pool, nor have I added pool salt, but I'm aware that there is salt coming from the liquid chlorine, the muriatic acid, and swimmers. My question is whether or not I should use the salt value for the Pool Math CSI calculation.It does make a difference in my CSI and has made it a bit more difficult to manage my pH based on CSI. I'm just not sure if it's an issue.

Here are my test results from today:
    FC: 6.5 (target is 7.5; I lose 1-1.5 ppm per day here in sunny Florida)
    CC: 0
    pH: 7.8 (it's most stable here, but my target was 7.6 - 7.7 before I started including the salt results)
    TA: 50 (TA and pH are both most stable at this TA, and fighting it was futile)
    CH: 320
    CYA: 50
    Salt: 1600
    Water Temp: 77
    CSI without salt value: -0.09
    CSI with salt value: -0.21

So, should I include the salt test results or just ignore it? Thanks for any insights and recommendations!
    -Michael
    Vintage pool, 1967. Inground, 23k gal, 38'x18', 3.5'-8' deep, no frills, screen-enclosed. Refurbished 2016: Pentair CC150 cartridge filter, WetEdge PearlMatrix Pebble; porcelain waterline tile; single skimmer; Pentair/Sta-rite SuperMax VS 1.5 HP pump (6/2017). City water, no restrictions. TFPC, chlorine bleach, Taylor K2006C, SpeedStir.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Use salt test results for CSI in a non-SWG pool?

Yes, use the salinity.

I would suggest that you use a pH if 7.8 or 7.9.
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you! It certainly will be easier to maintain pH at 7.8 - 7.9 . Just disheartening to see my CSI move down, but I guess it's still in a good range.
    Vintage pool, 1967. Inground, 23k gal, 38'x18', 3.5'-8' deep, no frills, screen-enclosed. Refurbished 2016: Pentair CC150 cartridge filter, WetEdge PearlMatrix Pebble; porcelain waterline tile; single skimmer; Pentair/Sta-rite SuperMax VS 1.5 HP pump (6/2017). City water, no restrictions. TFPC, chlorine bleach, Taylor K2006C, SpeedStir.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by MNiels View Post
    Thank you! It certainly will be easier to maintain pH at 7.8 - 7.9 . Just disheartening to see my CSI move down, but I guess it's still in a good range.
    You're still within desirable range though, so all good!

Maddie
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard