First TF100 Tests

So I do get that, however I was a little high last night for my CYA so I was letting it come down a bit.
However im still trying to figure out if my SWG is actually working or not. I assume by now, 10 hours after my soak, that the chlorine has done its job, so my FC at 4 SHOULD be stable. meaning if I check it later today (10 hours from now) it should still be 4.
If its not, than my SWG is likely not working....
I do plan on adding chlorine before/after soaks after I figure out this SWG thing :)

EDIT : son of a... PH meter is VERY easy to break. Just putting the cap on a little wrong and broke the glass... oh well..

Just tested again before going in (soon).
FC - 3
CC - .5
PH - 7.6 (i broke my meter but for the first time the color exactly matches, and is something I can read). Holy cow is that satisfying haha.

So I dropped another full ppm on FC in about 10 hours time. There was about 3 hours of swg (if its working) run time in there too.
I just do not know why im losing so much chlorine. This cant be normal. In the course of 24 hours its gone from 7.5 to 3 (with a total of 1 bather, in for 30-40 min). Nothing else.

Test this morning at 11:30 am

PH - 7.6 roughly (liquid test, meter broke).
FC - 3
CC - .5
TA - 60
CYA - 50

So everything is fairly stable. I added 1.7oz of bleach before going in last night. Looks like all of that was consumed with my 30-40 minute solo use last night. Maybe things are stabilizing a little bit. Would 1.7oz per 30 minutes for single bather be right?

how are you coming up with those numbers?

CYA (Stabilizer)Minimum FCTarget FCShock FC
60*​
3​
4​
24​
70​
3​
5​
28​
80​
4​
6​
31​

according to this (SWG pool) it says I should be around maybe 2-4. If there is another chart like this for SWG hot tubs im all ears :) btw, that isnt sarcastic... I am just going off the charts..

First your looking at the SWG pool chart. Temperatures are not the same. Chlorine becomes less effective at higher temperatures. That's why I posted the non salt cya chart.

Second, you want to have about 10% fc to cya. Your CYA(50) is higher than you need it. I think you should be targeting 30. Then your FC of 3 would be ok. The formula is 5*FC/CYA, if your less than .5 ppm of chlorine than your off. I get lost when it starts getting in that portion of the chemistry. But I've read countless times 10%

If you do a search for "Nitro's Approach To Water Maintaince"

There's tons of good info and explanations

Ok, good stuff.. Actually CYA was closer to 35-40, i mistyped that above.
Ill keep checking CYA etc (i ordered a refill kit from TFP shop) to see rate of drop etc.
Im keeping logs of every time i test as well.

So if im at 40 ish CYA, thats 4 for FC target. No harm in getting that to 6 before going in I presume, knowing im going to drop 2 while in the tub, likely more based on my history.
thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I got an email back from the spa manufacturer spewing a bunch of info completely contradictory to what we have here.
1. Use dichlor because it has CYA (no mention of overshooting your CYA with continuing to use it).
2. TA of 50 is too low - recommended that at least 80ppm. If not, your PH will bounce around.
3. Said just because your chlorine was 7 ish means the SWG is working.. said nothing about the fact that ive been using bleach (i told her i overshot that time).
So I responded back with some info.. we shall see.

Anyway, just tested the full range again, after having not tested everything for about a week.

PH - 7.2 (aerating now to get that up a bit)
FC - 3
CC - .5
CYA - 40
Salt - 2400ppm
TA - 60

Just did my first full test in about a week.
I also added probably 50 gallons as it was down a bit.

PH -7.7
FC - 1.5
CC - .5
CYA - 30
Salt - 2600ppm
TA - 70

So still in pretty good shape. Obviously I havent figured out my SWG issue yet.. I still contend there is no way its working.

question... would the fact that im adding a ton of bleach , like 3 oz per day sometimes more to keep my FC in check mean my clothes and towels have holes in them? seems to be happening to some towels i use to dry off... At least thats my assumption... I would have thought it would be so crazy diluted that no way it can happen from the hot tub water.
But I suppose over time I have added close to 40oz or more by now.
thoughts?
thanks

Manufacturer agreed to swap out my prozone and swg system. Its being sent as we speak, and will be swapped out by a service team. Hoping that fixes my issue. They agreed that it sounds broken, said I should have to add MAYBE half an oz after a soak and the 8 hour pump time per day should easily keep it stable. so thats good

question... would the fact that im adding a ton of bleach , like 3 oz per day sometimes more to keep my FC in check mean my clothes and towels have holes in them? seems to be happening to some towels i use to dry off... At least thats my assumption... I would have thought it would be so crazy diluted that no way it can happen from the hot tub water.
But I suppose over time I have added close to 40oz or more by now.
thoughts?
thanks

I don't see how it would be possible that that amount of bleach would cause you an issue. My Hot Tub is going on almost three months of every day use and I add at least that much bleach per day to counter act the bather load and I have no issues at all. My water is still clear as can be and I have been using the same swim trunks and my has been using the same bikini and I don't even see fading on them.

Weekly tests.

FC - 3
CC - .75 (maybe .5... its close)
TA - 60
PH - 7.6
CYA - 30
Salt - 2400
Calcium - 225

All in all keeping her pretty well in check. ONly thing ive added in the last 2 weeks has been liquid chlorine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.