ReSurface/ReModel - Estimate Questions

Apr 9, 2009
I have been pondering the thought of having my pool resurfaced. It is old, probably built in the 80's and it has seen 3 oweners since then. I have a few questions on this process...

Can anyone give me thoughts on having the plaster redone compared to just having an epoxy coat sprayed?

Can someone who is handy repair the tile and brick work around the top side of the pool?

I can't remember how to post a pic or I would... If someone can refresh my memory.. I have a pic to post.

Thanks
Steph

Re: ReSurface/ReModel

I have been pondering the thought of having my pool resurfaced. It is old, probably built in the 80's and it has seen 3 oweners since then. I have a few questions on this process...

Can anyone give me thoughts on having the plaster redone compared to just having an epoxy coat sprayed? As with anything, the prep work is the most critical. I have never seen an epoxy (or any other veneer, other than fibreglas) topical application give any better life than new plaster, or a derivative (PebbleTec, etc.). If the foundation is strong, you may be able to have a company abrade the plaster as opposed to completely chipping it and apply a new coat of plaster. The condition of the existing plaster will dictate that though.

Can someone who is handy repair the tile and brick work around the top side of the pool? They could, depending on how handy they are :shock: I know that I would not attempt it myself, and I have been in the building industry for over 30 years, and I'm a stubborn German to boot! Properly done tile and coping will last many, many years, and is relatively inexpensive to have done. I personally would not want to learn on my pool and have to live with my work for the remainder of the time I left it (and before I paid to have it done right)!

Don't know if that helps you or not! I've seen really bad work (by "professionals") many times, so be careful who you choose, if you go that route. Get references, go see some work and ask your local pool builders who they would use.

Good luck!

Epoxy paint usually lasts 3 to 5 years when properly applied. It may require sandblasting, priming and multiple coats. Expect less than a year's life when its not applied correctly and that happens more than you might expect. Getting the contractor back is often difficult at best. The finger pointing goes on forever. Reapplications requires use of the same paint type. If it's not available or the previous paint job was botched, even sandblasting the old paint off may not be enough. Epoxy paint is expensive, over $100 gallon!

If your pool only has a single coat of plaster, you can usually plaster over it. It may need a bond coat for better adhesion but that is pretty minor. If this has been done already, then a chip out is needed.

Properly cared for plaster costs less in the long run. The cost to repair/repaint 3-5 times will go up each time and cost more than the initially more costly but substantially longer lasting replastering job.

A big factor in deciding which route to go may be how long you plan to stay in the home, what others in your area have done and resale value.

If you are doing either, the pool needs to be empty.

Often, when tile repairs are called for, things are worse than the homeowner realizes. Often times water has penetrated from behind, creating a weakened and crumbly mortar base. More tiles will fall soon. The source of the water needs to be found and stopped and often, the best course is all new tile.

Often, if the tile is shot, so is the coping. Water penetration weakens the mortar. God forbid a coping stone lets go as someone is walking on it, falls, gets cut, etc... A single coping stone can be repaired but it's not unusual for the damage, once exposed, to be found to be worse than initially thought. Again, repairs are usually pretty visible.

Many commercial pool operators choose painting because of the lower initial cash outlay. They are running a business and cash is everything there.

Substantially fewer homeowners go with paint. They want to be done. At least, I've found that to be the case in my region.

I don't like painting pools. If thats what the customer wants then thats what the customer will get. I've painted and repainted my share. Haven't had to go back for any warranty calls, thank God. It costs the homeowner more each time though.

There are LOTS of color choices for both but more texture choices with a plaster finish.

Coping, tile and plaster don't all have to be done at once. They can be done individually but it will cost more as 3 separate jobs vs. one job.

Its a great opportunity to change the look of your pool.

I hope this helps.

Scott

Thank Guys. I am going to try to get everything done at once. I haven't had anyone out to look at my pool.. I'm trying to research first so that I have the right info before hand. I did talk to one guy who wanted to do the Epoxy so that is why I asked about that question.

My tile and coping are both in very bad shape. I haven't bought the house yet but I'm considering either splitting the price to repair with the current owner or borrowing enough to cover the repairs when I purchase.

Anything else you guys can think of that I should have looked at? I'm going to replace my pump and have some of the plumbing repaired. Also going to have a cover built for my equipment. Right now it sits in the sun and weather without anything protecting it.

Thanks
Steph

I have talked with 4 different pool companies and they have all given me estimate on the replaster.

I had them give me estimates on the equipment replacement as well, but I'm not sure what to do. I have a very basic set up due to the fact that my pool is very small (18,000 GL). I simply have a pump, multivalve and DE filter. They are all old appox 15 years. I will also be replacing the plumbing that is above ground. Does anyone have any thoughts on what kind of equipment I should use... also, is this something that a handy home owner can do?

Thanks
Steph

This is the estimate to have my pool resurfaced, retile, and recoped.... I also had an estimate on having the equipment replaced. I would like to gather opinions on equipment and work. I would also like to know if there are any other key questions I should ask. I am talking with 4 different companies but this one seems to be the best out there. ...

Thanks
Steph

(1) Drain & acid wash; Chip out & replace main drain ring and cover;
Add bond coat; Plaster w/basic white plaster; $2340.00
(2) Replace tile with standard style; demo coping; replace coping
w/flagstone; install deck-o-seal; 2836.00
NOTE: If customer wants larger flagstone coping add for saw cutting
Deck; Additional $700.00
(3) Install new pump & motor (1 1/2 H.P. Whisper Flow) 748.00
(4) Install new backwash valve (push & pull) 102.00
(5) Install new filter/48’ larger filter; By using a larger pump & filter will be quieter and more efficient; 850.00
(8) Pressure test all plumbing; 300.00
(9) Inject one skimmer 225.00

I then emailed these questions and got the following response.

What would the cost be if I were to go with a Blue/Green Plaster color?
To add dye to plaster will change price $720. I will check with my plaster crew to make sure we can get that color as you want. If you will go to my web site there are some color choices there to look at and possibly you can give me a more accurate description to make sure we are on the same page.

What would the cost be to go with a 2 speed pump? (or is the one you listed a 2 speed?)
The pump on the bid is a single speed whisper flow pump; we raised the horsepower to 1.5 instead of 1 and increased filter size to improve efficiency. This should be adequate for your pool but if you desire a 2 speed pump the price will increase from $748 to $1175.

What is the Brand/Model of the DE FIlter you would be added?
Brand is a Hayward. Most will cost close to this price except Jandy Brand. Jandy filter will increase price by $500.

What would the cost be to replace my timer as well?
Depending on if you have a single timer it would cost $180 including freeze guard. Dual timer with freeze guard will run about $500.Looking at the pictures it looks like you have a single timer. By the way, appreciate the pictures.

If you were to replace the equipment would you replace all of the plumbing above ground as well?
Yes. I will replumb the entire equipment pad.

LovnChely said:
I have a very basic set up due to the fact that my pool is very small (18,000 GL).

C'mon Steph! 18K can't be considerd "very small" :)
You asked in your first post if tiling of the waterline is a diy job for the avarage joe. Yes it is(I can say that even if I haven't done it myself). I can't see how that could be more complicated than tiling any other vertical surface.
when tiling any vertical surface you have to "weigh in" a board so the tile doesen't slip down. Besides from that I can't think of anything that you can stumble upon. Just make sure that the surface is prepared before you start! Grind, fill up any wholes, apply sealant if necessary, and of course a priming coat.

Go for it Steph! Not only for the dough you save! but also for the feeling of well being every time you get a glimpse of your tile this summer :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
LovnChely said:
This is the estimate to have my pool resurfaced, retile, and recoped.... I also had an estimate on having the equipment replaced. I would like to gather opinions on equipment and work. I would also like to know if there are any other key questions I should ask. I am talking with 4 different companies but this one seems to be the best out there. ...

Thanks
Steph

(1) Drain & acid wash; Chip out & replace main drain ring and cover;
Add bond coat; Plaster w/basic white plaster; $2340.00

I'll let others, more in the know, comment about all the costs. But I wanted to say that the above figure looks really reasonable to me.

I had my 24 K gallon pool (which isn't that much bigger than yours) replastered in 1996 with a medium blue. I can't remember if they replaced the return fittings or not, and I'm not even sure that they replaced the bottom drain ring, but no repair of gunite, tile, bull nose coping, etc., was needed. They also left the old light bucket in place. When I think of the costs some people are reporting I'm really glad I did it in 96, although I didn't know about pebble tech type finishes nor was I offered anything like that. My cost was around $4 K in '96. It was a most excellent job as I spent many years abusing the finish prior to finding TFPs and I've acid washed it three times and it is still in pretty good condition except for the remaining scale on bottom (my fault) which is slowly releasing after AA treatment, keeping pH around 7.2, and keeping sequestrates at good levels.

I surely hope you get positive remarks from our members. Have you thoroughly checked out the contractor and his work? That low number $2.34 K could be a red flag. I'm just guessing here. Take my question with a grain of salt please.

gg=alice

I haven't finished checking him out by any means. However, I have done some research. He wasn't the cheapest estimate I received... in fact he was the second highest... but he seemed to have my best interest at heart instead of his own.

Rest assured once I get armed with all of the info and thoughts I will be moving to the next step of researching the restoration company.

Thanks
Steph

Henry Porter: Go for it Steph! Not only for the dough you save! but also for the feeling of well being every time you get a glimpse of your tile this summer :goodjob:

I LOVE this guy, LOL!!!

Stephanie, Some of us are blessed with more mechanical aptitude than others. HP is very high on this list.
You must have supreme confidence in your ability to perform the work described or you may end up regretting it often. I think your prices from the contractor are very fair indeed, ask him to show you some work he's performed in the past on similar renovation jobs of his.

I thought I'd revisit this thread and point out that Henry Porter is correct,
The job at hand isn't rocket science, it's just good old fashioned work, and attention to detail.
If you consider going it on your own post up and we'll assist with any questions you may have.

See ya,
Kelly

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.