Not sure where to go from here

Nov 5, 2018
Reno NV
Hey everyone,

I have a 350 marquis spa that was new 2 months ago. Started with the spa frog in line cartridges but quickly realized that was not keeping appropriate levels of chlorine in the tub. From there I started reading about the dichlor and bleach method and adopted that will little to no issues for the next month. My cya was a little high at 50 and my calcium hardness was 250ppm from following the spa frog instructions on the first fill. I decided to empty a little over half the tub to get cya levels and calcium levels down. When I refilled the volume I tested and found that I had .6ppm free chlorine, 30 CYA, 50ppm TA, 140 Calcium hardness. I added borate to bring up the level to 50ppm and then added sanitizer. I read that I'm supposed to get the original shock level to 10 on refill and let it come down. Since my CYA was in the appropriate range I did not use dichlor and went straight to bleach. To raise the FC from .6 to 10 I added 6.8 oz of bleach. I came back to test the spa later and the FC is only showing 1.6 and I decided to check combined chlorine and its showing as 12.4! I am using the Taylor 2006 test kit and I have an ozonator. Where do I go from here?

High CC comes from using the Spa Frog cartridges. Bring your FC up to 12 and try to keep it there. Within a few days your FC levels should be holding and your CCs should be down to 0.5 or less. Shut off your ozonator for now. Also in general you don't want an ozonator when running a chlorine spa, it will distroys FC.

What in the Sap Frog thing makes the cc? (True question as I know very little about this)
It's the type of stabilized chlorine they use. They have some stuff that's not dichlor and not trichlor. Discussion starts in the following thread at post #23, JoyfulNoise answers it at post 31. The OP in that thread had a CC of around 25, so this OP changing half water and having a CC of around 12 makes sense.
New Spa owner - Questions regarding water changes, biofilm, and @ease - Page 2

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.