Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: around 20 small insects in the pool

1. Back To Top    #1

around 20 small insects in the pool

I saw about 5 small creatures in the pool yesterday. They look like insects but can swim, about the size of a fly. This morning i can see around 20.

What is the best way to get rid of them? They are not easy to catch, so i doubt thats an option.
    12x6 meters freeform, 1,2-1,5 meter deep, IG, ceramic tiles, 20000 gallons of water, SWG (hurlcon vx 11T, 42 g/h), 3 hp pump (astralpool victoria plus), sand filter (35in, flow rate: 32 cubic meter /h).

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: around 20 small insects in the pool

Sounds like water boatmen or backswimmers.

You'll want to make sure that your pool chemicals levels are good - PH, FC, CYA, etc.

I've heard that the little buggers are tough to catch, but I've only personally seen a few, and I've caught them with a skimmer net. I dropped them into a bucket of soapy water to kill them.

Adding Borates to a pool is thought to help. so-you-want-to-add-borates-to-your-pool-why-and-how-t4921.html
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

3. Back To Top    #3

ok, thanks for the links. from the pics i am pretty sure that what we have is corixidae, water boatmen.
    12x6 meters freeform, 1,2-1,5 meter deep, IG, ceramic tiles, 20000 gallons of water, SWG (hurlcon vx 11T, 42 g/h), 3 hp pump (astralpool victoria plus), sand filter (35in, flow rate: 32 cubic meter /h).

4. Back To Top    #4

Keep in mind that according to their description, they inhabit slow moving streams and feed on algae. You may need to shock your pool to get rid of their food source, even if you don't see any algae.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

yes, i will shock starting tomorrow. Does anybody have any idea about how long time i should shock? the water is crystal-clear. TC is 4 and ph is 7,7.

6. Back To Top    #6

There is an article on how to shock your pool in the Pool School. Just go to to the top right corner of this page and click on the "Pool School" link. Then scroll down to the "How To" section and the article is there.

Hope that helps,
    Gordon
    27K gal, IG vinyl, 1.5 HP pump, 24" sand filter, Goldline Aqua Plus SWG

7. Back To Top    #7

I would keep it at shock level for a few days and see if they go away. Just as an after thought if they do go away and then come back you might want to think about raising you FC level a little to try to deter them from a Regatta in your pool !
    Les
    Don't have a pool right now. Just sharing what I have learned over the years!
    Helpful Links:
    Pool School,Pool Calculator,Cl/CYA Shock Chart,TF Test Kit
    Doing BBB and loving it!