New gunite spa in FL under construction- have questions

Is there a maximum number of jets that can be put in a gunite spa? :?: We have a new pool and spill-over spa being built. It's been dug out and the shock-crete is in. The pvc pipes to where jets will be in the spa are in. There just aren't as many as I thought there would be and there are 2 spots that I thougth would be no-brainer places to put jets that have none. The spa is an odd size and shape because of our lot. It is rectangular - 10' x 4' with a 6' spill-over. There will be seating on 2 4' sides and along the 10' across the back of the spa. How many jets should we be able to have? Is it too late to add any now since it would require making a hole in the shock-crete? I will be talking with the pool builder soon, but wanted to see what you all knew first. We never had a conversation about how many jets there would be or where they would be placed.

Thanks!
Kelleyann

There is no fundamental limit to the number of jets in a spa as long as the pump(s) and pipes are sized properly to the number of jets. The typical spa will have 6-10 jets but just remember that the more jets you have the larger the jet pump will need to be. If you have single pump without a separate jet pump, there will be a maximum number of jets that can be serviced properly by that one pump. Otherwise the jets will feel week. Describe your setup in a bit more detail; pump(s) sizes, pipe sizes, runs, etc.

They may be able to add some jets but it depends on how easy it is to access the area. They can drill new holes and epoxy the new lines into the shotcrete and if done correctly it should not leak but there is a greater risk once the shotcrete is compromised.

Thanks for replying to my post! :-D I'm a real newbie and I am so glad I found this forum! I'm excited about the pool and spa but want to get it right. My PB has a 2 HP pump planned for in the spa. It's not in yet. The spa is an odd rectangular size due to my lot, 10' x 4' with a 6' spillover/waterfall with an 18" drop in to the pool with 2' left on each side of the waterfall.

Does it sound like I need a bigger pump to handle the jets and waterfall/spill-over?

Thanks!

"Normal" jets will require 15 gpm to operate, so you could take the flow rate (gpm) of the 2 HP pump and divide by 15 to see roughly how many jets you can use. Remember that biger (spin jets, for example) will require more flow, so you will need to know what is spec'd or the PB is using.

I like to get out of the jets sometimes, so you may want to consider that as well. Not everyone will want to be in a jet all the time and will want some relief (I get itchy from them after a while).

I'd try hard not to add any more with the shotcrete done, as they will not only have to tie in to the water supply but also in to the air line. It is a lot of work (especially with shotcrete, which is very hard!). It does seem odd to me that this wasn't discussed earlier in the build.......

Kellyann,

How many jets are there now? Also, ask the PB what type of jets he is planning to use (orifice size).

Using Waterway flow rate recommendations for moderate jet action and assuming a 2 HP pump with a single 2.5" 35' runs:

5/16" Orifice - 10 Jet Maximum
3/8" Orifice - 8 Jet Maximum
7/16" Orifice - 6 Jet Maximum

But if you really like strong jets, subtact two off of each.

Just an FYI.... My stand alone spa with a gazillion jets has two (2) 5 hp pumps for jets. Each pump controls jets to 1/2 of the spa and controlled independently. The circulation pump for filtering is much, much smaller. This is our third spa in 23 years and we love the massaging action of the powerful jets especially when we turn on the venturies which are controlled separately for each set of jets (at each lounging area).

gg=alice

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.