Teledyne Lars Series 2 - Pilot Burner

Oct 14, 2009
1) OK, so I took apart my 325btu Teledyne heater to clean the debris off of the copper heater fins - the high limit was being triggered so it was so dirty. I put it back together but I wasn't getting a spark (ya know, the click, click, click). So now I am trying to test where the gap is. I unscrewed the two tiny bolts to get the pilot assembly back out to make sure its ring clamp connection to the lead assembly is tight - I tightened the tiny nuts on the bottom end of the ignitor. With the ignitor hanging out, I tried to get a spark again, but no luck - Does the ignitor need to be screwed in and grounded to spark?

2) I also pulled the red spark wire off of the ignition control while under spark to see if it jumps the gap, like the manual says - no spark jump. Keep in mind this is also without the pilot assembly grounded (possibly the same issue as #1)

3) It is such a pain to screw that pilot assembly into place with those 2 tiny bolts - any tips?

4) I am about ready to call a pro - any suggestions for Charlotte, NC??

Thanks to all!
Ray

Even if it's not actually sparking, you should hear the clicking. That means it's either the ignition control or something before it. Are you getting 24v all the way through the safety circuit, on/off switch, thermostat, and back to the valve?

I can recommend a professional in your area, but if it ends up being the control you could save a few hundred dollars doing this yourself.

The only reason I don't think it is the ignition control is because before I took apart the unit, almost everything was working...the clicking was happening and it lit the burner, which fired for about 10 seconds before it shut off completely (which was my original problem - I believe due to the 135 deg high limit because of debris on copper fins).

Could the high limit now be blocking the clicking? Do I just bypass the high limits by cutting and connecting their wires?

Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.