CYA removal kit

Aqua Lab Rat

In The Industry
May 1, 2015
Anoka, MN
I see that Natural Chemistry is going to come out with the 2-part "CYA Removal Kit", and apparently they were talking about it at the Pool & Spa Expo in Las Vegas this week. What little I've seen online makes me think it is just a bottle of their Thiotrine and a bag of Bioactive CYA Reducer. Has anyone had a closer look at it yet, or have more knowledge about it?

https://naturalchemistry.com/en-us/residential-products/cya-removal-kit/

No knowledge here! But just posting so I can follow along. It's either voodoo or the wonder pool product of the century. Anxious to hear what our chemists here say about it!

I hope it's not a sequestrant type deal, where all you're doing is adding two more chemicals to hide the first...

There was another post about it. We are guessing it is the same as the previous attempt. But, I thought someone was going to try it and see ... hopefully they do reliable CYA testing if they do.

Reading their instructions on the web page already raise red flags to me.

Add CYA Remove Step 1 to reduce chlorine level to 1 -3 ppm. CYA Remove Step 1 works better with the chlorine level on the lower side of the acceptable 1-3 ppm range. You must maintain a minimum of 1 ppm of chlorine during the CYA removal process.*

Why do we need this step at all? Why not just say to stop adding CL, turn off your SWG, or remove your pucks until CL is at 1 PPM.

Will lowering the CL to 1PPM open up pools to algae growth during the treatment? Sort of self defeating to solve the CYA problem and create an algea problem that then needs to be treated.

Test CYA level using the test strips provided in this kit.

CYA testing with test strips??

Allow 7-10 days to see full results of the treatment, then test the CYA level using the test strips provided. The ideal CYA range is between 30-50 ppm. Reintroduce CYA if needed using Natural Chemistry's Instant Pool Water Conditioner.

This does not sound like it will let you precisely lower your CYA to a specific level.

It will be interesting to hear how it works. I would test it in a bucket of water with a high CYA before I dump it in my pool.

After reading Marty's link, I'm out.

I don't expect to ever have a CYA issue again, like the one I inherited from the previous owner, but if I did, I'd likely also have a CH and salt problem, too (which also came with the pool). Why would I dump more chemicals and bacteria into my water, when for the same price I can reduce CYA, CH and salt all at the same time, with a water exchange!? This product seems to be a solution looking for a problem. How many pools could there be that could benefit from only CYA reduction, and not also need to resolve other chemical issues this product wouldn't address? Maybe in other areas of the country, I suppose...

The pool store/pool guy MO of just putting more and more and more chemicals into a pool really creeps me out. I love that I now use CL, CYA and MA and nothing else, and seemingly the only by-product is salt... which I'll just flush out every few years, for about 40 bucks...

With sudden FC reduction and low phosphates, there is probably not much of an algae bloom but bacteria still might thrive. 1st step is sodium sulfite to quickly drop the FC. 2nd step sounds like inoculation with appropriate bacteria and wait til CYA consumed. Add no antimicrobials during the treatment. Monitor CYA and replace CYA if you overshoot.

Sounds like it could be a new and more effective way to use of the previous CYA reducing products. But needs to be verified by actual users of the product as to its efficacy.

But, it may not be living bacteria at all? Looks like there is some research on CYA degradation. In this case a strain of E coli that produces enzymes that break down CYA, (Moorella thermoacetica heat stable hydrolase enzyme), was heat treated at 70C for 1 hour (to inactivate the bacteria) and still had enough enzymatic activity to break down CYA. This was published in 2015. Maybe this product comes from this type of research. Bacterial Cyanuric Acid Hydrolase for Water Treatment | Applied and Environmental Microbiology

Sure. Hach / Aquachek 7 test strips have that ability. Not anywhere near precise, but you should be able to tell if it is still too high or has come down into the ballpark.
He's well aware that it's possible to test for cya with a test strip. But since we generally do not trust test strips for anything, using only strips to verify the effectiveness of this new product is rather pointless

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.