How long to keep pump on?

qsch

Nov 8, 2009
Just wanted to confirm how long would be best to run the pool pump starite 1.5 horsepower and still short enought to save power. The pool has about 20,000 Gallons and I am using a pool pilot with saltwater chlorinator. I live in the tropics. Thank You! At the moment I have it set from 8 Am - 4 Pm.

It's just whatever works for you. You are presently at 8 hours, and that's a good baseline. You need to allow for enough run time for chlorine generation, cleaner operation and skimmer operation. If the pool is clean and you are making enough chlorine, you are probably okay. Maybe you can shorten the time and see how it goes, maybe you need to run longer.

You should always operate the pump when there are swimmers in the water for better sanitation.

If saving electricity is a goal, you could probably downsize the pump to 1HP without affecting the pool, or switch to a 2-speed or variable flow pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.