Fiber Optic bulb dim and won't stay lit

Dec 25, 2009
Hello,
We recently purchased a house with our first inground pool. It has a Jandy G12 Fiber Optic Pool light with three outlets inside the pool. The Metal Halide Bulb shuts off after about 3 min. After about 5 min the light bulb comes back on. I have a feeling the bulb is not getting as bright as it should since you can barely see the light at the outlets in the pool. Please help. Is it the ballast? Starter? other?
John

AFAIR, Jandy doesn't make fiber light sources. Usually it's a Fiberstar or Pentair PG2000 light tower.

Several things are possible:

1) Wrong bulb
2) Defective bulb
3) Dying transformer
4) Dying switch
5) Loose wires
6) Clogged Vents

After a bulb strikes it's arc, it takes a couple minutes to gain full intensity. When it is shut off, the tower waits for it cool before re-arcing to prevent shattering due to rapid heating/cooling.

How close is the fiber bundle to the lamp? This can have a huge impact. Improperly terminated bundles or melted and dirty color wheels will dim things. Is it's surface flat and clean? Fiber bundles can deteriorate if the gaskets on the pool outlet have failed and allowed water to access it.

You might consider bringing in either an experienced pool service guy to figure out which. You may have more than one issue. Have you seen this system working correctly in the past?

Helpful links

Fiberstar Owners Manual link : http://www.fiberstars.com/fiberstars/_a ... Manual.pdf

Pentair PG2000 Installation Guide: http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/PG2000I ... tionIg.pdf

Scott

Our pool has an older Fiberstars setup that would randomly shut itself off. I found that the fuse holder was corroded to the point that it didn't keep a good connection. I installed a new fuse holder that I picked up at Radio Shack for around $3 and all seems well, at least until this one corrodes also. Some type of weatherproof military style fuse holder would be much better for the conditions these things have to live in.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.