40K salt cell for a 14K gallon size pool?

Dec 24, 2009
I am shopping for a salt chlorinator for my 14K gallon pool and came across Aquarite. A couple of pool stores only sells the 40K cell while I know there are 15K, 25K cell for this model. The salesman said in Arizona, during summer the 15K cell will not be able to keep up with the chlorine demand. Is there any validity to this claim? The 15K cell is like $300 cheaper, so I was wondering if the stores are just trying to increase their margins.

Extreme heat in the summer in Arizona will make that cell work pretty hard. I would always go bigger if I had the chance. In this case... bigger is always better! :cheers:

You should be fine with a 40K cell on that pool. It is possible to get a SWG that is too large for your pool, but it would have to be larger than that. A cell rated for up to three times the size of the pool is normally just fine. Up to three times larger, bigger is better, as long as you can afford the up front costs.

The larger cells will last longer than the smaller ones will. In most cases the larger cell will end up costing less in the long run, the longer life more than making up for the higher initial cost.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.