Hayward/Goldline T-CELL-15 fitting/thread size

Can anyone tell me what size are the threaded fittings on this stupid salt cell? I can say that they're not a standard 2" or 1.5" pvc union. I was going to use some sort of pvc fitting to plug one end so I can turn it upright and fill with acid to clean it. I'll be danged if I can figure out what fits that thing. Maybe I'm overlooking something obvious, but I can't find a standard pvc adapter to fit it.

Does it come with its own unions for installation? I removed the cell from the plumbing, and the remaining portion of each union is of course still on each side of the pipe.

I've seen the custom end cap that Goldline makes for it, but I'm not paying $35+ when I should be able to easily rig up my own for < $10 -- unless of course they've created some custom, non-standard fitting.

Thanks,
Phillip

I don't know what thread they use but you could just use a 2" winterizing plug like this to plug up the end and accomplish the same thing.

Hi Phillip,

I'm not an expert on this stuff, but I did some digging around and found that it is a 2" fitting with a buttress thread - probably won't find it at Home Depot. If you need it, google GLX-CELL-UNION and several sources will come up. Poolsonly.com had a good description of what is in their kit. I have never bought from them, so can't vouch for their service.

If you just need to clean your cell, the plug Mark described is a much cheaper way to go.

Good luck,
Gordon

Thanks, you are dead on. Here's the response I just got from Hayward's customer support. A "patented thread". That's about the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Translation: the consumer has to pay triple for what could have been a standard FPT pipe thread. That tells me alot about Hayward/Goldline.

"The cell unions are a patented thread that are only manufactured by Goldline Controls. The part number for the unions are GLX-CELL-UNION."

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.