Extraordinary Pools

I've visited the two pools at Hearst Castle (#2). The "Roman Pool" is an enclosed pool, built under (and the size of) two tennis courts, and the whole room from the bottom of the pool to the ceiling is 1" tile. The whole place is really scatterbrained but the individual pieces are amazing.

Gellert Baths and Swimming Pool complex looks more like a cathedral than a pool. The famed Budapest's bath was constructed between 1912 and 1918 and it features chic Art Nouveau style. The temperature of water exceeds 40°C (110°F), so visiting the baths is a perfect way to kill the time on a rainy day.

Fortunately for the bathers in Budapest, 40 degrees Celsius does not equate to 110 degrees Farenheit! :grrrr:

x
  • Here's a news item that well fits the thread topic.

• Extraordinary Pools

The world’s highest swimming pool

It’s 76 stories up in Burj Khalifa, a 124-story building that rises more
than half a mile into the sky (2717 ft). Located in Dubai, United
Arab Emirates, it was just recently completed. It's height not only
surpasses that of Taiwan's Taipei 101, formerly the world's tallest
building, but it is the tallest man-made structure ever built.

It is amazing what man can create when he is not trying to destroy one another.

Here is one that is not quite to the caliber as those porjects, but one we did last year.

pool.jpg

rooftopnight.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
polyvue said:
Gellert Baths and Swimming Pool complex looks more like a cathedral than a pool. The famed Budapest's bath was constructed between 1912 and 1918 and it features chic Art Nouveau style. The temperature of water exceeds 40°C (110°F), so visiting the baths is a perfect way to kill the time on a rainy day.

Fortunately for the bathers in Budapest, 40 degrees Celsius does not equate to 110 degrees Farenheit! :grrrr:

Its close, at 104. Which my hottub generally sits at, sure feels nice when its -20 Celsius out. :D

Molson said:
Its close, at 104. Which my hottub generally sits at, sure feels nice when its -20 Celsius out. :D
Yikes!! The contrast between air and water must be a shocker. Have friends in Albany, NY who do the same. I suspect that all of you guys are slowly cooking yourself to death. (You know about the frog in the pot of water on the stove, right? :lol: )

Here, a few times in December it will get as cold as 2 below 0° Celsius. I warm the spa water way up to 100/101° F. Not any hotter -- that's hot enough for me. Feels great in the winter to soak at night and do a little star-gazing.

Edited for font size - GxD

I actually prefer it around 108, but most people don't. But at those outside temps its cools REAL quick, after less than an hour its in the mid 90's and starting to feel cold.

Yes, its interesting at those temps, the amount of steam is neat, and my hair freezes solid after a while. The drinks stay nice and cold though. :)

Molson said:
I actually prefer it around 108, but most people don't. But at those outside temps its cools REAL quick, after less than an hour its in the mid 90's and starting to feel cold.

Yes, its interesting at those temps, the amount of steam is neat, and my hair freezes solid after a while. The drinks stay nice and cold though. :)
Drinks staying cold is a good think :whoot:
You could save the ice for a later time :cheers: :cheers: :shock:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.