I think this is severely undersized...

taekwondodo

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 26, 2009
I have a customer that has a Clean&Clear 200 filter and a 1HP Whisperflo on an 21,000 gallon pool - I'm not sure if the problem is the filter, the pump, or both. In the matter of a month, the cleaner has slowed down to a crawl (Poolvernugen) and the filter pressure has gone from 20psi to 28psi - and there's a leaf-trap with fine mesh between the PVNGN and the pump...

Thoughts?

- Jeff

The cartridge looks pretty new, and IIRC, the customer told me its only a few years old. I'm thinking the filter just isn't cutting it... too small. Its a single cartridge system. I'm w/you on the 1HP, as when the cart is clean, everything works well...

- Jeff

21,000 gallons divided by 360 (minutes in a 6 hour turnover) shows a need for 58 gpm. While I don't like the small size of that filter, it seems like you are most likely well within spec (and then some with the 1 HP pump).

I would question the cleanliness of the filter and the run time. If they system is running for two hours a day and sitting stagnant for 22, I'd think you may have found your answer!

simicrintz said:
If they system is running for two hours a day and sitting stagnant for 22, I'd think you may have found your answer!

I'm not sure I'm following you here, specifically, why run-time would be relevant to getting pressure drops of 10 lbs in a month. Filter/pump runs 8 hours in the summer, and 4 hours in the winter.

taekwondodo said:
simicrintz said:
If they system is running for two hours a day and sitting stagnant for 22, I'd think you may have found your answer!

I'm not sure I'm following you here, specifically, why run-time would be relevant to getting pressure drops of 10 lbs in a month. Filter/pump runs 8 hours in the summer, and 4 hours in the winter.

I was trying to address the pump size and remove that from the equation. I don't think it is a pump issue (unless something is stuck in a line somewhere!). The "small" filter may not be keeping up with whatever debris is being introduced to it.

I kinda started rambling on the run time ( :oops: :roll: )! I just have a real hard time with running a pool for short periods of time and expecting it to keep a pool clean. I feel it is unrealistic, but it shouldn't impact the filter pressure change.

Maybe the water is "denser" in the winter and is having a hard time flowing (or maybe I'm just dense!!).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.