Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I think this is severely undersized...

1. Back To Top    #1

I think this is severely undersized...

I have a customer that has a Clean&Clear 200 filter and a 1HP Whisperflo on an 21,000 gallon pool - I'm not sure if the problem is the filter, the pump, or both. In the matter of a month, the cleaner has slowed down to a crawl (Poolvernugen) and the filter pressure has gone from 20psi to 28psi - and there's a leaf-trap with fine mesh between the PVNGN and the pump...

Thoughts?

- Jeff
    ~45Kg Pool with attached Spa, NSP-72 DE, Minmax 400 Heater, Tahoe Blue Pebbletech, Jandy SWG via Aqualink RS-8, The Pool Cleaner (black)
    Pumps: X3 Hybrid Pump (switches to SPA), 2HP Spa (additional, when SPA is on), and a 1HP For Waterfall
    8, 4x12 Solar Panels on the roof of the pool-house (~12' up)
    CAPTAIN JAMES T. KIRK: "I'M SORRY. I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF HOW AWESOME I AM" (Thanks to TFP!)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I think this is severely undersized...

I have a 21K gallon pool and a 1HP filter does a fine job with it. Sounds like time for a new cartridge.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

The cartridge looks pretty new, and IIRC, the customer told me its only a few years old. I'm thinking the filter just isn't cutting it... too small. Its a single cartridge system. I'm w/you on the 1HP, as when the cart is clean, everything works well...

- Jeff
    ~45Kg Pool with attached Spa, NSP-72 DE, Minmax 400 Heater, Tahoe Blue Pebbletech, Jandy SWG via Aqualink RS-8, The Pool Cleaner (black)
    Pumps: X3 Hybrid Pump (switches to SPA), 2HP Spa (additional, when SPA is on), and a 1HP For Waterfall
    CAPTAIN JAMES T. KIRK: "I'M SORRY. I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF HOW AWESOME I AM" (Thanks to TFP!)

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by taekwondodo
    The cartridge looks pretty new, and IIRC, the customer told me its only a few years old.
    A few years? Almost certainly the cartridge.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5

21,000 gallons divided by 360 (minutes in a 6 hour turnover) shows a need for 58 gpm. While I don't like the small size of that filter, it seems like you are most likely well within spec (and then some with the 1 HP pump).

I would question the cleanliness of the filter and the run time. If they system is running for two hours a day and sitting stagnant for 22, I'd think you may have found your answer!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by simicrintz
    If they system is running for two hours a day and sitting stagnant for 22, I'd think you may have found your answer!
    I'm not sure I'm following you here, specifically, why run-time would be relevant to getting pressure drops of 10 lbs in a month. Filter/pump runs 8 hours in the summer, and 4 hours in the winter.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by taekwondodo
    Quote Originally Posted by simicrintz
    If they system is running for two hours a day and sitting stagnant for 22, I'd think you may have found your answer!
    I'm not sure I'm following you here, specifically, why run-time would be relevant to getting pressure drops of 10 lbs in a month. Filter/pump runs 8 hours in the summer, and 4 hours in the winter.
    I was trying to address the pump size and remove that from the equation. I don't think it is a pump issue (unless something is stuck in a line somewhere!). The "small" filter may not be keeping up with whatever debris is being introduced to it.

I kinda started rambling on the run time ( )! I just have a real hard time with running a pool for short periods of time and expecting it to keep a pool clean. I feel it is unrealistic, but it shouldn't impact the filter pressure change.

Maybe the water is "denser" in the winter and is having a hard time flowing (or maybe I'm just dense!!).