Looking into a fiberglass pool and I have lots of questions!

yes i have swapped to wanting a gunite pool and i viewed a neighbor's pool with the aforementioned grotto/waterfall/slide and want that instead of the turbotwister plastic now

I’ll have to check out gunite options. I originally heard that it was the most expensive so I kind of discounted it. And I’m a little worried about having to replaster in the future.

- - - Updated - - -

There is maintenance w any pool ita no different whatever u choose. Using tfp methods and having a robot make it a breeze I spent 10 min every 3 days worrying about the pool. Same as any other. Save ur money and get some more prices. Ny is just as expensive as NJ prices and elsewhere u can get a whole lot more for 85 large than basic fiberglass

I imagine we are in the same boat if you’re in NJ. I’ll definitely look into other options. One of my biggest struggles has been getting a response from the builders I’ve called. Not sure if it’s because we’re almost in November now or what it might be.

- - - Updated - - -

While the overall shape is important, when selecting the shell also consider the seating options available while in the water.

If you are going to lounge around in the water a lot, then ensure there are some good seating spots in the pool.

Thank you for the suggestion! I haven’t thought much about seating but it does seem like a good idea. I also thought about a tanning ledge, more for my dogs than for me :D

Hi there.... I'll weigh in with our fiberglass pool (photos of install in siggy line). Our pool was made by a southern company Hattaras Pools. A nice classic rectangle. I felt like too many squirrly curves ate up space and since our pool is only 14x32, we wanted as much room in there as possible.

My only regret is not having a deeper pool. I truly *miss* diving, and I spend too much time and effort reminding the young folks that my 6' deep pool is too shallow to safely dive in.

We went with fiberglass as my husband "Skippy" had undergone unexpected major surgery and we just felt we didn't want to hold back on things anymore. You know, that "Treat Yo'self!" mentality?? Yeah... we're in to that now :)

The plaster type pools require more hands on care in the early days than we were interested in doing. Fiberglass is good from day one! No brushing, no dust, fewer worries about pets etc. And so far in 7 years we've never once had algae (yay for TFP methods!).

We also splurged on an autocover which is a piece of cake to install in a rectangle pool. Zip! it's open! Zap! Its closed! All with the turn of a key. No fears of unwanted livestock, children or leaves in the pool when the cover is shut.

Our builder did a great job for us, something I only realized after joining TFP and seeing others less than great jobs. We have all gravel under and around the pool. We have a large (like 9" or so?) across PVC tube hidden under a skimmer lid giving us access to any possible water under the pool so we can drop a small sump pump down if necessary to drain ground water out. Never been anything but dry gravel base that I can tell?

Simple yet large sand filter, an oversized salt water chlorine generator and we're set!

I hope you find a pool shape you can work with and a builder as great as ours was.

Maddie :flower:

Hi there.... I'll weigh in with our fiberglass pool (photos of install in siggy line). Our pool was made by a southern company Hattaras Pools. A nice classic rectangle. I felt like too many squirrly curves ate up space and since our pool is only 14x32, we wanted as much room in there as possible.

My only regret is not having a deeper pool. I truly *miss* diving, and I spend too much time and effort reminding the young folks that my 6' deep pool is too shallow to safely dive in.

We went with fiberglass as my husband "Skippy" had undergone unexpected major surgery and we just felt we didn't want to hold back on things anymore. You know, that "Treat Yo'self!" mentality?? Yeah... we're in to that now :)

The plaster type pools require more hands on care in the early days than we were interested in doing. Fiberglass is good from day one! No brushing, no dust, fewer worries about pets etc. And so far in 7 years we've never once had algae (yay for TFP methods!).

We also splurged on an autocover which is a piece of cake to install in a rectangle pool. Zip! it's open! Zap! Its closed! All with the turn of a key. No fears of unwanted livestock, children or leaves in the pool when the cover is shut.

Our builder did a great job for us, something I only realized after joining TFP and seeing others less than great jobs. We have all gravel under and around the pool. We have a large (like 9" or so?) across PVC tube hidden under a skimmer lid giving us access to any possible water under the pool so we can drop a small sump pump down if necessary to drain ground water out. Never been anything but dry gravel base that I can tell?

Simple yet large sand filter, an oversized salt water chlorine generator and we're set!

I hope you find a pool shape you can work with and a builder as great as ours was.

Maddie :flower:

Thank you Maddie for all the great advice! I’m glad to hear someone else is for a deep end! I’ll have to ask about a sump pump option, that sounds like a really good idea.

Hopefully I can find a great builder! Fingers crossed.

Remember fiberglass will get dull over the years and eventually need to be freshened up just like a plaster job or a new liner. Now is when guys are looking for winter work u should be getting call backs the pool closing season is over up north for most of us. What are are you in specifically I'd think others may have references for u if they knew ur location.
Think of it this way. With a liner pool if u spent 40k all said and done what is 3-4 thousand every 10yrs for a liner in the bigger picture of 85k ur facing now? How about gunite for say 60k and a plaster job in 15-20 yrs for 5grand. I only say this as I started w doing a DIY fiberglass and a large shell was around 20k delivered to my site. Gunite was around 40k plastered in my area no equipment plumbing or deck included in either. I did vinyl I have about 14k in materials total and around 6k in retaining walls and pavers. Labor was me and a few days here and there of my employees helping on bigger parts. U can make a liner pool look very expensive and luxurious much cheaper than the other 2 options usually. I'd call a bunch of pool companies regardless of what they offer and get a bunch of quotes and opinions.

Remember fiberglass will get dull over the years and eventually need to be freshened up just like a plaster job or a new liner. Now is when guys are looking for winter work u should be getting call backs the pool closing season is over up north for most of us. What are are you in specifically I'd think others may have references for u if they knew ur location.
Think of it this way. With a liner pool if u spent 40k all said and done what is 3-4 thousand every 10yrs for a liner in the bigger picture of 85k ur facing now? How about gunite for say 60k and a plaster job in 15-20 yrs for 5grand. I only say this as I started w doing a DIY fiberglass and a large shell was around 20k delivered to my site. Gunite was around 40k plastered in my area no equipment plumbing or deck included in either. I did vinyl I have about 14k in materials total and around 6k in retaining walls and pavers. Labor was me and a few days here and there of my employees helping on bigger parts. U can make a liner pool look very expensive and luxurious much cheaper than the other 2 options usually. I'd call a bunch of pool companies regardless of what they offer and get a bunch of quotes and opinions.

Great advice! I’ll call around. I’m especially interested in what others would say about the location. I live in Sullivan County, not a hugely populated area and seriously lacking in pool companies. If someone has a local recommendation I would be thrilled!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.