LifeTime Supporter
May 27, 2007
Fayetteville, Arkansas
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Have been following the charts and readings carefully, however I'm getting some algae.
Here are this evening's numbers for your thoughts:

FC 3.2
CC 0
Ph 7.2
CH (vinyl)
TA 90
CYA 30

Using Ben's chart - I should maintain a min of 3.2 FC and max of 6.0 ppm and shock level of 15 ppm.
I think I'll up the CYA to at least 40 and then edge the FC closer to a 5 or 6 maintenance level. BTW, water
clarity is very clear at the deep end. Air temps are in the low 90's, sorry no temp of the water (can't find the
thermometer for the empty bleach bottles) !!

Am I on track?

Hope everyone's summer is going great and you get to spend some time in your oasis this week-end !!

Ranger,

If you have algae, you need to shock your pool. Bring the Cl up to the approprate shock level and keep it there until the algae is gone and your pool is pristine. Only then should you lower the Cl to maintenance levels.

Don't play patty-cake with an algae bloom...hit it in the head with a brick.

What kind of algae did you get? Did the water just start to get dull or cloudy (as usually happens when green algae starts) or did you see some yellow/brown dust like substance growing in the shady area of the pool (which could be yellow/mustard algae that needs more chlorine to keep away)? Or was it something like black spots on the pool surface (possibly black algae)? Was there any possibility that the chlorine level dipped low even for a short while? Could the algae have been pollen instead? Is there poor circulation in the area where the algae occurred?

Glad your quick attack took care of the problem, but it would be good to know more details so we can adjust recommendations if needed.

Richard

Yes, the water was dull and lacked the sparkle it had. I suspect the FC level dropped too low for a long enough period to allow its foothold. I had been trying to keep the FC level at 3ppm with the CYA reading 40. However, we have had a lot of rain and evaporation too - up and down syndrome. My CYA level had been lowered due to the required refilling. The pool is 30,000 gal with four returns, two skimmers. The green stuff was widespread throughout the pool, primarily on the floor.

So - last night I shocked to 15ppm. This morning the pool looks much better. But I had vacuumed the stuff away too. I don't like manual vacuuming - but in this case I did. Manual vacuuming is too much like work for me. Today I'll get a couple of new sections of hose and then take 'em all apart to change up the 'memory' of the line. Noticed my vac was partial to the deep end of the pool.

Thanks for your help Richard . . . have a good week-end.

Rangerman,

Just a reminder from my previous post............

Bring the Cl up to the appropriate shock level and keep it there until the algae is gone and your pool is pristine. Only then should you lower the Cl to maintenance levels.

I'll bet your Cl was below 10ppm this AM. Bring it back up to fifteen at least tonight.....Then check again in the AM. One dose rarely clears a pool completely because the shock dose of chlorine is consumed so rapidly.

duraleigh said:
Rangerman,

Bring the Cl up to the appropriate shock level and keep it there until the algae is gone and your pool is pristine. Only then should you lower the Cl to maintenance levels.

I'll bet your Cl was below 10ppm this AM. Bring it back up to fifteen at least tonight.....Then check again in the AM. One dose rarely clears a pool completely because the shock dose of chlorine is consumed so rapidly.

You bet I will . . . not going to let that happen again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
duraleigh said:
Rangerman,

Tested the water this evening and I was surprised the FC was still at 15 for shocking. However the Ph went from 7.2 to 7.8. Is this to be expected with the addition of that much liquid chlorine? I just thought the water was clear until I shocked it. Now it really sparkles. Is it possible that I was headed for problems even with the Ph at 7.6 the other day thinking the high Ph was the cause of the dulling?

Is it possible that I was headed for problems even with the Ph at 7.6 the other day thinking the high Ph was the cause of the dulling?
Very possible. It is a natural tendency to stop the Cl once you see improvement. Keeping the Cl at high levels for the "finishing touch" to your pool water is a very rewarding experience. Now you can let your Cl drift down to maintenance level and your pool will absolutely sparkle all Summer....Nice work!!! :lol:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.