Hayward heater display damaged

spthomas

Mar 24, 2014
Lewisville, TX
I have a hayward 400,000 btu gas heater. Over the last year or so I've noticed that the keypad is being eaten up by the sun. about three months ago it looked terrible and the digits were hard to see, but it still worked and all the indicators for mode, spa, pool were working. today, I noticed the panel is dark, no led digits and no indicator lights. just dead.

I also don't seem to be able to make it work. The pool is working, and everything is wired to the timer box for power including the heater. so breakers and even power input should not be the problem. must be something in the heater. and with the sun damaged keypad/display I suspect that.

is there a good way to diagnose this other than just replacing the keypad? Do I have to replace the display board too, or is the display panel a separate piece? I'm a fair repair guy but thought I'd ask before digging into things blindly.

Steve 20181026_141941.jpg

That looks right. Would that cause there to be no lights showing at all? There are no digits showing, no spa/pool/standby indicator, nothing. I haven't been into the heater yet, but power is directly from the timer box and its all connected and working.

Sorry, it looks like my link was to the wrong one. Yours looks like the older H series model. Double check before ordering. It’s a simple replacement. The OEM runs about $125, but there is a third party maker who sells the panel only for about $35.00 or the panel with a door to prevent that from happening again for about $60.

Amazon.com : COMPATIBLE WITH ALL HAYWARD H SERIES POOL HEATER REPLACEMENT CONTROL PANEL KEYPAD MEMBRANE SWITCH. INSYNC ENGINEERING DESIGNED AND MANUFACTURED -NOT AFFILIATED IN ANY WAY WITH HAYWARD POOL PRODUCTS. : Garden Outdoor

Amazon.com: Hayward H-Series Pool Heater Bezel Keypad Outdoor

I don’t know if a new display panel will solve all your problems, but that one is definitely shot

Thanks for all the help everyone. The display is definitely shot as you can see and when I got into it the board is burned out. with the keypad worn out and the membrane worn away, all it took was the torrential record setting rain we've had in the last two months to fry it. so I've got parts ordered from Amazon and it's all good.

I got the part and installed a new board, keypad, and bezel in about 5 minutes. I figured out what happened. We have had record-setting rain here in Dallas TX in Sept. and Oct. This keypad was worn out, the membrane worn off, and barely functional anyway. All that rain got inside the keypad, probably around the display, and fried the display board. you can see on the picture below that the display board has a burned spot. probably rain got inside the keypad, ran down the cable and shorted the board right where the cable is attached.

Next step is to get a cover to go over the keypad to keep this from happening again.

But now we're good as new. Soon as it gets cold enough (temp nearly 80 today!) It's hot tub weather for me!

Thanks all, you were a huge help!

SteveT

Attachments

• 20181106_110651.jpg
    20181106_110651.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 45

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Yes I've tried that one as well but didn't like needing to drill screw holes.The one I linked to uses the existing screws and holes to attach it. Plus I prefer the other one also as it is contoured to cover the entire bezel. I've used the one I linked to many times for my customers. Whichever one you choose, it is far better than not having it covered at all.

True, you need to use care when drilling the holes. Just set the drill bit so that it only protrudes about 1/2 inch.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.