To close or not to close (SC)

maui19

Apr 17, 2009
I'm wondering what to do about our pool. It is warm enough here in SC that we don't need to close it, but we are getting a ton of debris in the pool--so much that it is far more work now than it was in the summer. With all the rain we've been having, the skimmer gets overwhelmed quickly, and the bottom gets covered with leaves and pine needes. We managed to clog the return lines while vacuuming last week. :hammer: I would prefer to avoid that in the future.

Part of the problem may be that the deciduous trees drop there leaves over a much longer period than up north. Maybe this high maintenance period will end shortly. Is that possible?

We're looking at leaf nets as a possible way to keep all the junk out of the pools. Do they even work?

What to you southerners do with your pools in the winter?

Not sure what your pool budget is but we screened in our pool and tied it in with our Florida Room and house. I get no debris and not sure what to do with our polaris, It is brand new and I used it once just to see it run. Maybe I will sell it :-D Look at our pics in the signature box :cheers:

maui19 said:
I'm wondering what to do about our pool. It is warm enough here in SC that we don't need to close it, but we are getting a ton of debris in the pool--so much that it is far more work now than it was in the summer. With all the rain we've been having, the skimmer gets overwhelmed quickly, and the bottom gets covered with leaves and pine needles. We managed to clog the return lines while vacuuming last week. :hammer: I would prefer to avoid that in the future.

Boy, I'm with you there on leaves and debris. I've been battling since '86, and yes it is a lot of work. I have to babysit the pool the whole time the pump is on. A really good inexpensive tool for removing leaves is a leaf eater. It has a big bag. You attach a hose to it and the venturi action sucks the leaves up into the bag. You can, also, get different size bags and different mesh sizes. When I let my pool go for a couple of days I'll use that to get the majority of leaves out before turning Polaris 280 on to get the rest (I have to change the Polaris bags out several times a day, empty the PoolSkim bags twice a day or more, and clean out the skimmer several times a day, on heavy days. BTW... I have two (2) PoolSkims that capture a whole lot of the floating leaves before they get to the skimmer but many still do get to skimmer if there is a lot of wind. If you want to go the vacuum route you really need a leaf catcher canister on the vacuum line. It will catch all of the leaves before it goes into your lines or pump basket.

Part of the problem may be that the deciduous trees drop there leaves over a much longer period than up north. Maybe this high maintenance period will end shortly. Is that possible?

Same here. Leaves are still dropping and blowing around and into pool. I don't have the lawn crew come out to take care of leaves until mid January because leaves are still dropping. It's been especially heavy past few days.

We're looking at leaf nets as a possible way to keep all the junk out of the pools. Do they even work?

Yes, they do work well for leaves and large debris. Not sure about pine needles but after you get a layer of damp, soggy leaves on net some needles should be stopped. During dry times the leaves will dry up and blow off of the net if you have enough wind. I've used one a few winters BUT you have to be very careful to block the pool off from any pets, including cats. I haven't had any squirrels drown though. It basically floats on the top of the water and keeps leaves out but not any smaller blowing debris. It does make spring cleanup fast and easy especially if you take it off with two people folding it back on itself to capture the leaves. Actually, I've always done it myself with almost no leaves falling into pool. I secured mine with large concrete blocks and large planters to keep the dogs from getting to the pool edge.

What to you southerners do with your pools in the winter?

I'm SW of Dallas Texas. Many people here keep pools open all year but you have to keep pump running during during the few freezes; either manually or with a freeze guard that turns pump on at a certain temperature. I can't use the automatic because I have to babysit the leaf and debris situation until I get the crew out to take care of the leaves. BTW... I'm in heavy woods with lots of wind.

gg=alice

We never close our pool in the winter. It is also not covered. The Freeze Guard kicks the pump on when the temp hits 34 degrees so that protects that end of things. The winter debris that collects in our pool, compliments of a couple of wax myrtles that completely overhang the pool, are easily dealt with by the Baracuda suction side cleaner. We also employ skimmer socks in the two skimmers and this helps a lot.

I'm not sure how a cleaner would do with all of that pine straw you are getting. My Baracuda can be tempermental with longer pieces of debris like that. I also feel your pain regarding obstructions in the return lines from cleaning the pool. Using a leaf trap on the vacuum or cleaner line is cheap insurance to prevent that from happening again.

I know my post is a bit on the late side.. :lol: ...I live in North East Texas about 100 miles east of Dallas. I use a leaf net and pull the leaves off of net as needed. I only run my pump as needed in the winter to keep from freezing pump and lines. Pool is SWG with sand filter and Borates added.

wonderwater said:
I know my post is a bit on the late side.. :lol: ...I live in North East Texas about 100 miles east of Dallas. I use a leaf net and pull the leaves off of net as needed. I only run my pump as needed in the winter to keep from freezing pump and lines. Pool is SWG with sand filter and Borates added.

I think this is going to be our plan for next year. The cascade of debris from trees has mostly stopped, so I guess we're just looking at about a 6-week period of increased maintenance.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.