How Much Salt?

Sep 4, 2009
Cocoa, Florida
I am adding salt to my pool/spa combo for the first time today. I purchased 8 40lb bags to start with. I have roughly a 15000 gallon inground pool with in Intellichlor IC20 chlorinator. I am running a pentair intelliflo pump with a pentair clean and clear plus 425sq ft filter.

I would like to know how many bags of salt to initially deposit into the pool? I would assume that I would want that number to be what I would need to fall a little short of the desired ppm's. Then add it little at a time to get it tweaked in.

Thanks
Joe

Joe, welcome to TFP!!

8 40 lb bags should get you to ~2540 ppm (this assumes that you had 0 ppm salt to begin with)
Your unit might well generate at your current level, but 2 more bags would have taken a 15,000 gal pool to 3200ppm :)

Hope you have no troubles with the system but, if you do, we're here to help :cool:

Thanks for the welcome...I hope I am trouble free too...:)

During the first 30 days I have added 2 gallons of Muratic acid along with 4 bags of shock. I went ahead and plugged my IC20 Chlorinator into the automation system. I have added 4 bags of salt so far. I will check the indicator tomorrow and if it is still low I will add some more salt. I might have to go buy a few more bags since I only purchased 320lbs.

Joe

Joe welcome to TFP where you will find all kinds of people willing to help you with your pool and outdoor grilling needs :-D Please post a full set of Chemistry and we will be able to better help you. I like using the TF-100 test kit and this does everything except testing for salt. You can use salt test stipps if necessary. :cheers:

joeg2246 said:
I have not purchased a test kit as of now. I just take a sample to the pool store that is very close to me.
Quite understandable... even convenient. But please consider Brentr's good advice for the spring. A pool store will not likely be able to offer you immediate and thorough feedback on your pool's chemistry and a little reading here will at some point convince you that pool maintenance becomes easier when you have your own test kit. I began with a very cheap (and not very useful) kit given me by my pool builder at opening, but now use a Taylor K-2006.

Well the 8 bags of salt I initially added was almost the perfect amount. I went and got 2 more bags and added 1/2 of a bag and then later the other half of that bag and the chlorinator indicator went green. I then took another sample to the pool store and got the results. Everything looks good for now. I would imagine I will get the water tested about 2 times weekly to ensure I keep up with the acid demand. I am going to putt pictures up now. Check them out please and any ideas would be helpful...!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.