New pool owner needs help

Dec 21, 2009
Hello everyone, This seems like the place to be for pool answers so i joined up.
Little background: Bought a house in march with a 16 X 30 above ground pool. Went to the pool store because I know nothing about pools. They put me on to Bacqaucil sp? and I paid the piper all summer because I did not know any different and the store guys told me that $300 a month in chemicals was the norm for all pool owners. After reading many sites I now know I was stupid and they were smart. Anyway, I was contemplating getting rid of the pool but I would like to give it another summer as it has a fnatastic deck around it and I have kids getting old enought to enjoy it!
After all that I have read I am going to go with Chlorine this coming summer I have removed my filter and dumped the sand for the winter and trying to gain some knowledge on how to begin this spring. The pool is covered and will not see daylight until Mid March. The problem is that I do not even know where to begin with chlorine. I would simply like to go to walmart and use the buckets of chlorine tablets and avoid the pool store. However, I'm not sure where to begin? Any thoughts or suggestions. Any step by step manuals out there to get me going. Something like do step 1, then step 2 etc. I want to keep it simple and daily maintenance is not an option. 2-3 times per week is realistic. Thanks for any advice

You've found us at a good and a bad time. It's good because you have a while to read and understand Pool School. It's bad in that you'd have been better off if you had found us first, before spending all that money on chems.

You'll probably need to read pool school a few times especially the part about converting from Baquacil. That's as close to step by step instructions as you'll find anywhere, and any step you have problems with the good folks here will "hold your hand" and get you thru it. There are also many success stories here about conversions. So start reading and then come back and ask questions.

P.S. The chlorine we recommend doesn't come in buckets. It comes in carboys or jugs. :) While it does come from Walmart it's in a different section. It's over in the laundry aisle.

It will take some effort and close attention to convert from Bacqua to chlorine (and a pallet-load of bleach). But, once the conversion is done, you should be able to get things to the point where a few minutes 2-3 times a week will be fine.
--paulr

PaulR said:
It will take some effort and close attention to convert from Bacqua to chlorine (and a pallet-load of bleach). But, once the conversion is done, you should be able to get things to the point where a few minutes 2-3 times a week will be fine.
--paulr
Forgive my ignorance :( but I am wondering if it would be quicker and cheaper for couchburner to drain the pool and start over with a new pool fill. Not sure what you pay for water however in Jacksonville it would be about $32.00 for 13,000 gals of water :cheers:

I was under the impression that since I have not put any chemicals in my pool since October and will not open it until March that I would not have to worry about Bacquacyl chemicals still being in the water and converting would be no problem. I will change the sand in my filter in March also. The Bacquacyl certainly didnt stay in the pool for more than 2 weeks during the summer when i was trying to keep it in there so shouldnt it all be gone by spring. I'm sure the pool will need a good cleaning but you guys still think I would have problems with past chemicals

As you will note when reviewing threads that describe Bacquacil conversions, they can at times take for-ev-er... and I, like Brentr, prefer the easier approach of draining and filling rather than endure a protracted fight and "a pallet-load of bleach." But it can be accomplished either way.

I would caution anyone who has a liner pool above/inground that the integrity of a pool liner can be ruined with a complete drain and refill.

IMMV. :shock:

If it were my pool, I'd top off and shock the bejeezus out of it. :wink: You won't spend anywhere near $300 for chemicals next year using the BBB method as long as you don't use baqua-crud.

Read up couchburner. :cool:

Hummmmm :-D I am not an expert with liners, however this pool is not inground and I do not see how the integrity would be compromised :-D Please share with me Casey, why you would not just drain the pool and restart with chemicals :cheers:

Brent, while I would never presume to speak for my dear friend Casey... unless the AG pool is meant to be drained each season, it 'wants' the water in it to stay in place.

Once a liner is 'set', it's best to leave it that way. However, a ~ full drain can be done in warm weather, to fully change the bad water, as long as it is quickly refilled and the pool owner takes care to work out any wrinkles that may form!

In short, one can drain an AG pool to correct a major chemical problem, but you must insure that the liner resets correctly (it really isn't too hard :) ) As always, the age and condition of the liner must! be taken into account :!: (info is available here, if necessary)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
waste said:
Brent, while I would never presume to speak for my dear friend Casey... unless the AG pool is meant to be drained each season, it 'wants' the water in it to stay in place.

Once a liner is 'set', it's best to leave it that way. However, a ~ full drain can be done in warm weather, to fully change the bad water, as long as it is quickly refilled and the pool owner takes care to work out any wrinkles that may form!

In short, one can drain an AG pool to correct a major chemical problem, but you must insure that the liner resets correctly (it really isn't too hard :) ) As always, the age and condition of the liner must! be taken into account :!: (info is available here, if necessary)

Again, IMMV and I, personally don't have time to reset a liner and work wrinkles out. <my liner has been treated well since it's held water in 07'> :wink: I'd rather watch the water circulate with a cold one close by, preferbly in my hand with the other reaching for another! :cheers:

:mrgreen:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.