Tear in my winter cover

Oct 8, 2007
Asheville, NC
We had about 12" of snow this past weekend. Way above what we normally get around here. When the power came back on we put the pump on to start pumping out what water we could. There is a thin layer of ice on the top of the cover with slushy water underneath. I, foolishly, tried to break through the ice to try and see how much water was on the cover (it is really weighed down). I managed to tear the cover about 3". It is near the edge and I think we could reach it to patch it. My question is this, what sort of patch can I use on a winter cover, can you use it in these cold temps and get a good seal? Any advise would be appreciated.

Johanna

Hmm, my only concern is that in trying to get the water off the cover I will just be pumping water out of the pool. Ok strange thought. What if I pump the water from on top of the pool into the pool underneath the cover? The cover is so stretched out I'm afraid it may collapse. I want to raise it up some. Whatta ya think?

I've tried a few products to mend tears in tarps, I would recommend tarp tape or gorilla tape. Regardless of which one you use they both work much better when the temperature is warmer. I personally find the gorilla tape to be stickier, but if you do try to put it on this time of year I would recommend trying to get the area as dry as possible with a rag and then use a hair dryer to get the area as warm and as dry as possible then apply the tape.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My cover was laying on the surface. It has a lot of water on it. I'm pumping it off. If a little water comes up through the tear I'm thinking it won't be a big deal until all the snow melts and I can deal with trying to patch it. I like the tape idea. It only needs to last a few months now!

My boyfriend had the brilliant idea of sticking a fun noodle underneath the tear! It keeps the tear off of the surface of the water. Now if it would only warm up a bit I will try to put some tape on it and remove the noodle.

Thanks to everyone who posted.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.