Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intelliflow spa/heat issue

1. Back To Top    #1

Intelliflow spa/heat issue

For the spa heat to activate I need the pool pump to run at max 3,500 rpm. Since I normally run 2,000 rpm in the winter ... how do I configure the circuits in the Pentair EasyTouch for the pump to go to max speed when I turn on the spa?
    17,500 Gallon, SWG 33' x 21' freeform w/ Sunstone Cobalt Plaster. Attached 6 X 6 Spa raised 12" w/ 6 Jets with Moss Rock Spillover. 25' Moss Rock Waterfall. Pentair Intelliflo VS-3050 for Pool, 2 HP Whisperflo for Waterfall, Pentair Clean & Clear Cartridge 320, Pentair 400K BTU Max-E-Therm heater, Pentair Intellichor, Pentair EasyTouch 4P, Pentair Legend Platinum Cleaner w/ 3/4 hp pump, autofill system, nat gas fire pit. BBB convert

http://www.troublefreepool.com/new-tx-pool-t17907.html

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Intelliflow spa/heat issue

I am a bit surprised that you would need to run the pump that fast in order to use the heater. Most heaters only need 40 GPM which should easily be supplied at 2000 RPM. Are you sure that some of the flow isn't being bypassed somewhere around the heater? What is the filter pressure at 2000 RPM?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner

3. Back To Top    #3

Filter pressure is about 10psi
    17,500 Gallon, SWG 33' x 21' freeform w/ Sunstone Cobalt Plaster. Attached 6 X 6 Spa raised 12" w/ 6 Jets with Moss Rock Spillover. 25' Moss Rock Waterfall. Pentair Intelliflo VS-3050 for Pool, 2 HP Whisperflo for Waterfall, Pentair Clean & Clear Cartridge 320, Pentair 400K BTU Max-E-Therm heater, Pentair Intellichor, Pentair EasyTouch 4P, Pentair Legend Platinum Cleaner w/ 3/4 hp pump, autofill system, nat gas fire pit. BBB convert

4. Back To Top    #4

2000 RPM should be sufficient to run that heater and 10 PSI indicates you are getting fairly good flow through the pad although a bit on the high side.

Did the PB put in a heater bypass? If so, make sure the valve is closed so all of the water goes through the heater.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

After reading the heater manual, it sez that for 2-speed pumps, the low speed may not generate enough water flow for the heater to activate, so run on high speed.
    Given this does anyone know how to automate the spa setting to change the pump to max speed?

6. Back To Top    #6

See page 11 & 26 in the manual.

But technically, the Intelliflo is not a two speed pump and you are not operating at low speed. 2000 RPM is lower that full speed but should be fast enough to produce 40 GPM. There is probably another reason why the heater is not getting enough flow rate and you may want to look into it either way.
    Mark

7. Back To Top    #7

I've got a similar setup, at least for the pool anyway.

I believe I've got my Intelliflo running about 1800 rpm when running the heater with no issues. I have a bypass valve so I need to make sure that the valve is in the right position.
    ~13500 gallon gunite pool, Pentair Intelliflo 4x160, Pentair 520 SF cartridge filter, Pentair MasterTemp 400 NG heater
    Pentair Easytouch with IC40 SWCG, Hayward Navigator on dedicated suction line