Oops! Lowered too much water. How to Proceed?

Oct 24, 2018
Fort Branch, IN
I have a similar issue. Moved into a house with a pool this year, so being my first time closing, I made a mistake - after draining to just below the skimmer and shutting off the pump, I turned the MPV to "Winter" and proceeded with other chores. I came back a few hours later to discover that the waste line had siphoned another foot of water through the main drain. The waste is plumbed to the town sewer, so I didn't hear or see it. I know now I should have turned the MPV to "Close" to stop the flow first. My question is should I fill it back up, put in more chemicals, and close as usual, or can I leave it/drain further with plans to replace the liner in the spring? The liner isn't torn or leaking, but it is really faded and has some stains, so it's ugly. Based on what I've read, I shouldn't drain it completely because it may upset the base, but would it be okay to leave it as is (~1/2 to 2/3 full) without covering, then drain the rest of the way in the spring?

Hello and welcome! :wave: There are others who close routinely, but I'll add my 2 cents worth,...….. it depends. :) First, please update your signature with all of your pool and equipment details so we know exactly what you have to work with. That could dictate the responses. I also say it could depend based on the whether you cover your pool and if its solid or mesh.

Since "things happen", who knows ….. you might have to keep the current liner for another season, and you certainly don't want winter moisture to upheave that pool base. So for that reason I would probably get the water level closer to about a foot or so from the top - or just under the skimmer. The cover type (if used) also impacts your plan since if it's a solid cover, you'll want enough water to support the cover underneath. If it's mesh (or no cover) you might get away with a little lower water level and let the rain/snow fill it up a bit.

In the end though, I'd err on the side of caution and keep it supported. Now let's see what the real closers have to say. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.