Texas Winter - What do you do with outdoor fridge?

In Chicago, and I have an extra one in the garage. Our winters here are colder than yours, but if we have a week of 20 degress or less, the auto defrost line has frozen up.
Rest of the winter it works just fine.

In theory, it shouldn't start or run when it's cold outside. And IF it does, compressor damage can happen because it doen't have oil in it designed for low temps. In addition, refrigerators lack a compressor heater to keep the oil preheated so it flows. Those with heat pumps will see this compressor heater band if they look at it. Same for HVAC heat pumps. They have a heater so the compressor will start when it's cold outside. When it doesn't, it's time for the emergency electrical heat strips. :-/

Personally, I would unplug it, dry it out, install a box of backing soda in it and shut the door. If it's a small fridge, I'd put it in the garage with the door cracked open. Again, also unplugged. Refrigerators are not designed to run in 30degree weather even inside your cold garage.

Reactions: mojo1980
We have a 3/4 sized fridge out in our un-insulated pool shed and just leave it alone for the most part. It still has drinks in it that Skippy will grab when mowing the lawn or something. We might turn the temp up a bit but haven't always.

Maddie :flower:

I go with cheapest fridge possible and leave outdoors. No mater what even high end fridges will go in three years. I bought cheapest of cheap and got 3 years leaving is straight outside.

Im in Houston too.

We've had our old side by side kitchen fridge outside on the screen porch for quite a few years in DFW. Runs year round and works great.

Attachments

• IMG_20170302_171854.jpg
    IMG_20170302_171854.jpg
    353.9 KB · Views: 24

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Our Kenmore full size (no freezer) has been living on the patio for 10+ years, and still works great. MInd you we NEVER go below 0 degrees, but can get in the teens in the Winter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.