Winter Months Question

TiredOfWorking

Gold Supporter
Apr 11, 2018
Surprise,AZ
New poster. I have donated to this site for educating me in the ways of pool care. Tremendous wealth of knowledge here.

My Story. Bought a house with a pool February 2017. Hired a pool guy to care for pool as I knew nothing about it. Drained and refilled with fresh water. 3 bouts of algae over the summer and Calcium buildup at waterline. I started researching pool care online while recovering from hip replacement surgery in January 2018 and came across this site. After a massive amount of reading here, I felt only slightly scared of taking care of the pool myself and I let the pool guy go. Following the teachings on this site, my pool was perfect all summer. Crystal clear, no algae, no Calcium buildup, no pool guy bill. I finally have a question regarding the winter months.

Over the spring/summer I kept the chemistry like this:

FC 4.0-6.0 (usually 4.5-5.5)
PH-7.5-7.8 (added acid at 7.8. lowering to 7.5-7.6)
TA-60-70 (Varied with PH rise and fall)
CH-675 (Fill water was about 200 last time I checked)
CYA-70
Salt-3400
Borate-50
Temp-80-95
CSI-Tried to keep slightly negative

I remember I had a hard time keeping CSI from dropping too low in the spring, when I first started caring for the pool during the cold-water period.
Here is my question:
Are there any drawbacks to letting my PH rise to 8.0 or even higher when there is no swimming due to cold water? It would make it easier to keep CSI close to zero.

In many cases.....no, not a problem. But your CH is getting a bit elevated as expected in that area. So I'd recommend you continue to check pH periodically to monitor for any unusal spikes. If you see the pH rising much over 8.0 and/or your CSI slips over to the positive side, bring it down a little. Stick close to the PoolMath tool for best success.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.