When (not if) the SWG cell goes out?

Just as a proactive measure, what do you do when your salt cell stops working in the middle of swimming season? Immediately check the FC level and convert to liquid chlorine until the cell is working again? Just wondering. I know my cell will go out one day when I least expect it, and I won't be very adept at using liquid chlorine.

Phillip

PhillipH said:
Just as a proactive measure, what do you do when your salt cell stops working in the middle of swimming season? Immediately check the FC level and convert to liquid chlorine until the cell is working again? Just wondering. I know my cell will go out one day when I least expect it, and I won't be very adept at using liquid chlorine.

Phillip
Yes, in season or out, that's the solution. Water temps where I live normally don't drop to 50 degrees until late December, but this year was exceptional. I've been applying liquid chlorine periodically since the SWG stopped to maintain the recommended level of Free Chlorine.

Though I used higher concentrations of liquid chlorine (10 or 12%) in the past, storage of such products in very hot environments dissipates the available chlorine rather quickly, so I've switched to 6% bleach with much success. One just has to remember to add twice as much as the 12%! Applying it is easy: With the pump/filter running, pour it slowly in the deep end, close to the water and out a foot or so from the pool edge in front of a return. Continue running the pump until it's thoroughly mixed into the pool. 30 minutes should do it. In addition, I usually divert all suction to the main drain for the first 10 minutes or so following application to be sure it's getting dispersed via the pump.

A SWG cell usually (not always) fails slowly, lowering it's output at a give percentage setting over a few months towards the end. If you suspect a cell is starting to fail, take a look at the cell plates. When a cell is wearing out the corners of the plates, and possibly other areas, will be eroded away. When this happens you usually have a fair bit of warning.

Of course, other kinds of failures can happen at any time without warning. I generally keep a couple of gallons of bleach on hand at all times "just in case".

Thanks alot.

So, if my cell goes completely out and there is no chlorine source, I would generally expect to be adding some form of liquid chlorine on a daily basis? I know that I would be adding chlorine and checking my water to maintain the correct FC level for my pool, but would I likely be adding some amt of liquid chlorine daily?

PhillipH said:
f my cell goes completely out and there is no chlorine source, I would generally expect to be adding some form of liquid chlorine on a daily basis? I know that I would be adding chlorine and checking my water to maintain the correct FC level for my pool, but would I likely be adding some amt of liquid chlorine daily?
It depends a bit on what time of year... in the summer you might have to add daily to maintain the right level of FC; in the winter, early spring and late fall, you may find that you only need to add chlorine every few days or once a week. You can also bump it up a little higher than your target so you don't have to add it as often.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.