Winterizing chemicals needed when closing with a mesh cover

Sep 20, 2018
N TN
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We have a mesh loop-loc cover and our pool is surrounded by trees and our pool is always a swampy mess when we open it, even when we close when the water is less than 60 degrees and open before it is warm enough to swim. Last year, we had a mild winter and no snow and the water was almost black when we opened it and there were stains on the bottom of the pool that I couldn’t remove. A pool service closed the pool so I’m not sure what chemicals were added. I don’t want any more stains and I’d like to decrease the “swampiness” of my pool, in case we have another mild winter so I’m planning on handling the chemicals myself this year and let the pool service do the rest.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me on how I can prevent stains from developing and prevent dark green/black swampy water if we happen to have another mild winter? Since our pool is surrounded by trees that often get past the cover somehow and leaves will be dumping into the pool this week before closing, would it help if I added a phosphate remover or a stain/scale treatment before closing? Would it decrease my chances of staining or black swampy water if I close at target level (6-8 ppm) and add Polyquat 24 hours before closing? Or would I be better off closing at target level (20 ppm) and not adding any polyquat since that algecide has to be applied when chlorine levels are low and often reduces chlorine levels after it is added? My water is close to 60 degrees now and my pool closing is scheduled for Thursday so if anyone had any suggestions for me on what I could do to my pool this week to prevent any more stains or dark green swampy water, I’d really appreciate it.

I would stick with the basics. Ensure your water is algae free and clear before you close. If you need to SLAM, do it early enough so the FC call fall a bit before adding the Poly. That right there is probably your best Rx for success. The topic of phosphate removers continues to be discussed, but at this time we cannot confirm or deny their success rate. It would be up to you if you wanted to add some. If you do, we recommend purchasing a commercial grade phosphate remover and not the regular stuff found at the local stores.

Lastly, I know the water gets brutally cold, but if you can remove leaves and debris at times by scooping with a net or something, that's always a good thing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.