Cleaning Steps at Waterline

Jun 24, 2017
York/PA
Does anyone have a suggestion on how to clean the plastic molded steps at the waterline. I don't have problems with the liner, but that white molded plastic is ALWAYS dirty at the waterline.

The builder gave me a brush and said just scrub... but it does absolutely nothing.

I'm sure a Magic Eraser would work... but it works because it takes the first layer of material off, and the dirt with it... so I'm a little bit wary of trying this.

Any suggestions? I'm closing down this weekend and would like to clean it it before doing so.

Thanks!
Chris

You said the first thing I thought of-Magic Erasers. I love them for my white tennis shoes and have to say I have not noticed them taking any of the material off so.......I also use them on my pool liner and wall just above the liner.

Good to know that someone else uses this. Basically, Magic Eraser is just a very fine-grit sandpaper. It doesn't have any detergent properties... it just removes dirt from a surface by removing the surface.

I didn't know if the plastic has any kind of a protective coating to try to keep it clean that we didn't want to scrub off.... On the other hand, if there IS a protective coating, it obviously isn't working too well anyway...

Natural Chemistry Pool Perfect 1L - 03210

Pool perfect works pretty good on cleaning black scum from tile, steps and inside skimmers.

Just the plain pool perfect, not the combo product with phos free.

Use a sponge, rag or non-abrasive scrub pad like scotch brite pad. Some Scotch brite pads are a bit rough so be careful. Don't use scotch brite on vinyl liners.

Pour a little bit of pool perfect on the sponge or scotch brite and wipe down.

Note: The only thing that I find the pool perfect useful for is cleaning black stuff from skimmers and steps. It's a bit expensive, but if you only use it for cleaning, it should last a long time. There are other tile cleaner products that are specific to cleaning, but they are about the same price.

Some mild soaps can work and are cheaper but they can foam up the water.

If you're closing, maybe wait until spring to clean the steps.

If the steps are stained with iron, ascorbic acid should clean them up nicely.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.