Question about flagstone in the pool?

Nov 13, 2009
Carlsbad, CA
Hello,

We are about to start the coping and decided to change the stone from cheaper quartzite to 3 Rivers flagstone. I tried to find Oklahoma Wister here in SD but couldn't.

The flagstone will be installed on the walls of the pool with tile at the waterline. The flagstone will be in the sun shelf.

Does anyone know if it will start to flake with a salt water system and I am also concerned about the iron leaking out of the brown colors in 3 rivers and streaking the plaster?

Is it not a good idea to put 3 rivers in the sun shelf?

TIA!

Quartzite will be the strongest of the stone that you have mentioned, and will hold up the best and longest. 3 Rivers is denser than regular Arizona Flagstone, but it still can flake off to a degree. My opinion is that any flagstone that is submersed will become a problem at some time. You should be fine on the RBB portion of the pool, but I feel you will have the worry of some issues of delaminating if you use it on the sun shelf.

IIRC, 3 Rivers has a short mining season (it was real popular several years ago, but I don't see it much anymore) so it may be tough to find. Check with Steve at KRC Rock in San Marcos or Jim at Modern Builders in San Marcos. They are two of the best in the area and might be able to help you (if you haven't talked to them already!). Southwest Boulder may be of some help as well, but I don't know anyone there!

Thanks Bruce!

I went to Modern Builder with my PB the other evening and that is where I saw the 3 Rivers. I wrote a check for it this morning and it is sitting on our front lawn. I think we will be happy with it. Putting it in the sun shelf is something we really need to think about. Our PB said it wont be a problem but it is natural stone and with a salt water pool I don't see how it won't flake. It looks nice and I hope we don't have problems with it.

IMG_7461.jpg

Nice looking material!! That will be beautiful!

Check with your PB and see what he thinks about applying an impregnator (like Porous Plus 511) to the submerged material before plaster. I've done that in the past with good success.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.