Higher pH and TA for colder water when closing?

JPMorgan

Gold Supporter
May 22, 2018
Elmhurst, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Using Pool Math I noticed that water becomes more corrosive as it gets colder and pH and TA have the biggest impact on CSI. My readings (using 30 degrees for a winter water temp) are as follows:

FC 15
CC 0
pH 7.7
TA 80
CH 220
CYA 40
CSI -.47

If I raise pH to 7.8 and TA to 90 I get a CSI of -.31 ( a bit better). I don't have any calcium chloride on hand and that has a minimal impact on CSI anyway. Should I raise pH and TA to these levels or is everything okay as is? Thanks.

Okay. Thanks. I have some borax on hand. Wish I would have asked this question earlier as I have been adding dry acid to bring the pH down to 7.6 prior to closing. Now I have to go the other way.:(

One additional question about this. My pool surface is not really plaster. It is painted with a heavy duty epoxy paint. Given that, should I be concerned about -0.47 CSI?

Per the Pool Math Tool "[FONT=&quot]Less than -0.6 is suggestive of problems for plaster, tile, stone, and pebble pools. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Greater than 0.6 is suggestive of problems for all pools.

So..... if I have a pool surface that is epoxy paint, am I over-thinking this? Thanks again for the help.[/FONT]

when i bought my house the pool was painted with top quality epoxy paint
i tried to maintain close to zero csi
paint still started to break down after 3 years, after 5 years had pool resurfaced as it was unusable due to feet and hands turning blue
i dont think paint will last more than 3-5 years no matter what you do

Yes..... I have had to re-paint my pool about every 5 years. I was just wondering if I should be thinking of my painted surface the same as a plaster surface. For instance, in Pool Math when you choose type of pool surface, should I be selecting plaster if my pool surface is painted and does having a painted surface change any of the recommended levels.

When you say you had your pool resurfaced was it sand blasted and plastered? If so, is that an expensive job? How long should a resurfaced pool last? I'm getting older and growing tired of the the big paint job every 5 years.

the pool builder had to grind all of the old paint off by hand, took him over a week
i had the aquabright finish applied, from memory should last at least 25 years
i would treat your pool as plaster, as that is what is under the paint and you probably have a tile line at water level

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.