Long time no talk... My Polaris 3900 was stolen

SunLover18

Bronze Supporter
Jul 11, 2018
Fort Worth Tx
After spending the summer rebuilding my pumps and cleaner, buying the rebuild kit and putting it together (this took me quite some time) I came home 2 weeks ago and it was gone. Who steals a pool cleaner?? If you remember it was all I could do to afford the rebuild kit. Now I don’t even have one. Leaves are piling up. I don’t know what to do, thought you guys may have advice on what my most inexpensive option is or new ideas?

I can't describe how on a family forum how I feel about that type of theft and vandalism.

Maybe you can find a good deal on an end of season sale of a pool cleaner.

You can attach a hose to your skimmer and the other end to a cleaner head on a pole and vacuum manually until you can put together the resources for your next auto cleaner. Do a search at Amazon for "pool vacuum head" and you'll see there are lots to choose from. Click on one of them, then lower on the page for the vacuum head, you'll see links to hoses and poles. You can put a system together for about $100 new.

Craig's list would likely be a good place to check for used cleaning systems, manual or automatic.

Or, as Allen suggested, big box stores (Lowes, HD, Walmart) might be trying to clear out end-of-summer stock on those types of items.

And I thought I was the only one. I had my M5 stolen at the end of last year right from my backyard. It totally freaked my wife out that someone would come into the backyard to steal something. I feel for you, and I cant believe that someone would do something like that but it is the world we live in now.

I dont think the typical burglar would know what a pool cleaner is or steal one. And they don't usually steal just one thing, they take several.

If typical thief does know what one is, then he probably still wouldn't steal it because the market is too small, or if he did steal it and just passes it on to fence (the guy who buys any type of stolen stuff type of fence) it's probably in a pawn shop or craiglist or eBay by now.

I'm leaning towards someone who has a pool knows that you have a pool and that other guy needed a pool cleaner.

I suppose I should record my pump's and SWG's serial numbers, as I have done for other valuables. Someone familiar with pool equipment and its value could walk away with a couple grand in equipment out of my yard, for about 10 minutes "work." A thief can easily case which yards have pools from the comfort of Google Maps. He'd have to jump the fence to get in, but could then work the latch from the inside and walk right out with even heavy gear. Scary thoughts.

You can attach a hose to your skimmer and the other end to a cleaner head on a pole and vacuum manually until you can put together the resources for your next auto cleaner. Do a search at Amazon for "pool vacuum head" and you'll see there are lots to choose from. Click on one of them, then lower on the page for the vacuum head, you'll see links to hoses and poles. You can put a system together for about $100 new.

Craig's list would likely be a good place to check for used cleaning systems, manual or automatic.

Or, as Allen suggested, big box stores (Lowes, HD, Walmart) might be trying to clear out end-of-summer stock on those types of items.

Tjank you! I was wondering if there was something like that. I will definitely check on that.

- - - Updated - - -

And I thought I was the only one. I had my M5 stolen at the end of last year right from my backyard. It totally freaked my wife out that someone would come into the backyard to steal something. I feel for you, and I cant believe that someone would do something like that but it is the world we live in now.

So it’s not just me! I feel the same how, totally baffled that someone had the nerve to come into the backyard and take the time to disconnect etc... smh

- - - Updated - - -

I suppose I should record my pump's and SWG's serial numbers, as I have done for other valuables. Someone familiar with pool equipment and its value could walk away with a couple grand in equipment out of my yard, for about 10 minutes "work." A thief can easily case which yards have pools from the comfort of Google Maps. He'd have to jump the fence to get in, but could then work the latch from the inside and walk right out with even heavy gear. Scary thoughts.
You’re right. I never thought of how easily aerial views are available. And they are expensive items. I have an ally between my house and the house behind me so it’s easy to sneak in.

- - - Updated - - -

I can't describe how on a family forum how I feel about that type of theft and vandalism.

Maybe you can find a good deal on an end of season sale of a pool cleaner.

Its such ashame. It totally broke my heart. I mean I just was on here talking to you all about rebuilding it.

FWIW, after a rash of local burglaries a few years ago, I had a home security survey by our local sheriff's department (I think they've since stopped offering that service), and one thing that I was able to do immediately was put padlocks on my fence gates. That won't stop everyone or someone who is after an item they know you have and they want, and padlocks on the outside can be a nuisance when you're on the inside! However, it makes your yard less attractive than your neighbors' yards. As a side benefit, it's more effective than the child latches most municipalities require. Also, rather than fake surveillance cameras, consider the real thing. Motion activated lights are also something to consider. A friend of mine also went to the extreme of nailing carpet tack strips to the top of his fence, although I can't really suggest that and wouldn't try it myself. I also had a Beware of Dog sign, but it was stolen.

The world is different from that in which I grew up--where burglars and thieves were less a concern than the Red Menace.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The vaccums that plug into skimmer, will thy get the leaves? Seems it would clog something somewhere?

yeah, they do get caught.... IN the skimmer basket! That way they don't go thru the plumbing or get to your filter. Putting a skimmer sock in the basket makes it even better.

Maddie :flower:

After spending the summer rebuilding my pumps and cleaner, buying the rebuild kit and putting it together (this took me quite some time) I came home 2 weeks ago and it was gone. Who steals a pool cleaner?? If you remember it was all I could do to afford the rebuild kit. Now I don’t even have one. Leaves are piling up. I don’t know what to do, thought you guys may have advice on what my most inexpensive option is or new ideas?

have you resolved your issue?

I have been considering a new pool cleaner. I see you are in fort worth. we could possibly work something out on my old cleaner.

Its a pressure cleaner that is about 4 years old. Has new bag and has been repaired a few times.

email me at [email protected] if interested

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.