Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Long time no talk... My Polaris 3900 was stolen

1. Back To Top    #1

Long time no talk... My Polaris 3900 was stolen

After spending the summer rebuilding my pumps and cleaner, buying the rebuild kit and putting it together (this took me quite some time) I came home 2 weeks ago and it was gone. Who steals a pool cleaner?? If you remember it was all I could do to afford the rebuild kit. Now I donít even have one. Leaves are piling up. I donít know what to do, thought you guys may have advice on what my most inexpensive option is or new ideas?
    In Ground 45,000 Gallon Pool, 3-10 feet deep. DE Filter: Hayward D. E. ProGrid Pool Filter 48 SF DE4820 Pump: Hayward RS1500, 1.5 HP 1.33SF 2.00 THP Polaris Booster pump PB4-60 Polaris 3900 Sport Pool Cleaner ​Re plastered in 2004 and new tile

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Long time no talk... My Polaris 3900 was stolen

I can't describe how on a family forum how I feel about that type of theft and vandalism.

Maybe you can find a good deal on an end of season sale of a pool cleaner.
    -Allen
    IG 20x50 35,000 gal Cayman Lagoon Hydrazoo plaster w/ spa & waterfall, Pentair Intellichlor SWG, Pentair Mastertemp 400BTU Nat Gas Heater, Pentair FNS Plus 60 DE Filter, Polaris 380 cleaner, Meyco solid winter cover, TF100 Test Kit, Built in 2000 & replastered in 2017

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

You can attach a hose to your skimmer and the other end to a cleaner head on a pole and vacuum manually until you can put together the resources for your next auto cleaner. Do a search at Amazon for "pool vacuum head" and you'll see there are lots to choose from. Click on one of them, then lower on the page for the vacuum head, you'll see links to hoses and poles. You can put a system together for about $100 new.

Craig's list would likely be a good place to check for used cleaning systems, manual or automatic.

Or, as Allen suggested, big box stores (Lowes, HD, Walmart) might be trying to clear out end-of-summer stock on those types of items.
    12300 gallon IG pebble, freeform 19x28, 1 skimmer, 3 returns, no floor drains, auto fill. Pentair: EasyTouch PSL4, ScreenLogic2, Indoor Control Panel, Intelliflo 2 VST, IntelliChlor IC40, IntellipH, CCP320 Cartridge Filter, MasterTemp 250 Heater, Rebel Suction-Side Cleaner, IntelliBrite. Solar and cleaner actuators. Heliocol HC-50 8-panel solar heating. FlowVis Flow Meter. Taylor: K-2006 and K-1766 Test Kits, SpeedStir. City/softened water.

4. Back To Top    #4

And I thought I was the only one. I had my M5 stolen at the end of last year right from my backyard. It totally freaked my wife out that someone would come into the backyard to steal something. I feel for you, and I cant believe that someone would do something like that but it is the world we live in now.
    18K IG Gunite Pool Florida GEM finish with attached Spa replastered May 2017. Hayward Salt System. Dolphin M500 and SolarBreeze NX. TFT-100. Hayward CX1750RE Cartridge Filter. Hayward H400FDP Propane pool heater.

5. Back To Top    #5

I dont think the typical burglar would know what a pool cleaner is or steal one. And they don't usually steal just one thing, they take several.

If typical thief does know what one is, then he probably still wouldn't steal it because the market is too small, or if he did steal it and just passes it on to fence (the guy who buys any type of stolen stuff type of fence) it's probably in a pawn shop or craiglist or eBay by now.

I'm leaning towards someone who has a pool knows that you have a pool and that other guy needed a pool cleaner.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

I suppose I should record my pump's and SWG's serial numbers, as I have done for other valuables. Someone familiar with pool equipment and its value could walk away with a couple grand in equipment out of my yard, for about 10 minutes "work." A thief can easily case which yards have pools from the comfort of Google Maps. He'd have to jump the fence to get in, but could then work the latch from the inside and walk right out with even heavy gear. Scary thoughts.
    12300 gallon IG pebble, freeform 19x28, 1 skimmer, 3 returns, no floor drains, auto fill. Pentair: EasyTouch PSL4, ScreenLogic2, Indoor Control Panel, Intelliflo 2 VST, IntelliChlor IC40, IntellipH, CCP320 Cartridge Filter, MasterTemp 250 Heater, Rebel Suction-Side Cleaner, IntelliBrite. Solar and cleaner actuators. Heliocol HC-50 8-panel solar heating. FlowVis Flow Meter. Taylor: K-2006 and K-1766 Test Kits, SpeedStir. City/softened water.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    You can attach a hose to your skimmer and the other end to a cleaner head on a pole and vacuum manually until you can put together the resources for your next auto cleaner. Do a search at Amazon for "pool vacuum head" and you'll see there are lots to choose from. Click on one of them, then lower on the page for the vacuum head, you'll see links to hoses and poles. You can put a system together for about $100 new.

Craig's list would likely be a good place to check for used cleaning systems, manual or automatic.

Or, as Allen suggested, big box stores (Lowes, HD, Walmart) might be trying to clear out end-of-summer stock on those types of items.
    Tjank you! I was wondering if there was something like that. I will definitely check on that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Katodude View Post
    And I thought I was the only one. I had my M5 stolen at the end of last year right from my backyard. It totally freaked my wife out that someone would come into the backyard to steal something. I feel for you, and I cant believe that someone would do something like that but it is the world we live in now.
    So it’s not just me! I feel the same how, totally baffled that someone had the nerve to come into the backyard and take the time to disconnect etc... smh

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    I suppose I should record my pump's and SWG's serial numbers, as I have done for other valuables. Someone familiar with pool equipment and its value could walk away with a couple grand in equipment out of my yard, for about 10 minutes "work." A thief can easily case which yards have pools from the comfort of Google Maps. He'd have to jump the fence to get in, but could then work the latch from the inside and walk right out with even heavy gear. Scary thoughts.
    You’re right. I never thought of how easily aerial views are available. And they are expensive items. I have an ally between my house and the house behind me so it’s easy to sneak in.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ajw22 View Post
    I can't describe how on a family forum how I feel about that type of theft and vandalism.

Maybe you can find a good deal on an end of season sale of a pool cleaner.
    Its such ashame. It totally broke my heart. I mean I just was on here talking to you all about rebuilding it.
    In Ground 45,000 Gallon Pool, 3-10 feet deep. DE Filter: Hayward D. E. ProGrid Pool Filter 48 SF DE4820 Pump: Hayward RS1500, 1.5 HP 1.33SF 2.00 THP Polaris Booster pump PB4-60 Polaris 3900 Sport Pool Cleaner ​Re plastered in 2004 and new tile

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

This wouldn't likely fool a professional thief, but it might deter a pool owner looking for a bargain, or a drug addict or thug:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Trademar...FfwFrQYdcSkPFQ

9. Back To Top    #9

Nothing I hate more than people who steal. I have a polaris 280 in working condition if you are interested. Shoot me a message if you are (I'm in Flower Mound).
    Patrick, 21K gal, IG Plaster, Pentair IF Variable Speed Pump, 45QT DE Filter, 2003 Build, TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir, Dolphin S300i, Water Features

10. Back To Top    #10

FWIW, after a rash of local burglaries a few years ago, I had a home security survey by our local sheriff's department (I think they've since stopped offering that service), and one thing that I was able to do immediately was put padlocks on my fence gates. That won't stop everyone or someone who is after an item they know you have and they want, and padlocks on the outside can be a nuisance when you're on the inside! However, it makes your yard less attractive than your neighbors' yards. As a side benefit, it's more effective than the child latches most municipalities require. Also, rather than fake surveillance cameras, consider the real thing. Motion activated lights are also something to consider. A friend of mine also went to the extreme of nailing carpet tack strips to the top of his fence, although I can't really suggest that and wouldn't try it myself. I also had a Beware of Dog sign, but it was stolen.

The world is different from that in which I grew up--where burglars and thieves were less a concern than the Red Menace.
    IG Pool: Freeform 18x39 14,953 gal. Gunite plaster/pebble
    Pentair Cartridge filter, Intelliflo VSF Filter Pump, Paramount O3, UV2
    Pentair 1.5 HP feature Pump, Pentair cleaner with Booster Pump
    Pentair Mastertemp 400 Gas Heater, Spa with Silencer Air Blower 1.5 HP
    Pool filled Sept 30 2018 city water, Test kit: TF-100

11. Back To Top    #11

To all,

Let's remember this is a pool website and not an anti crime website..

We just don't want this thread to slide into the wrong end of the pool...

Thanks,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

12. Back To Top    #12

Anyone know if these have serial numbers even?

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by React View Post
    Nothing I hate more than people who steal. I have a polaris 280 in working condition if you are interested. Shoot me a message if you are (I'm in Flower Mound).
    I’m trying to figure out how to message you!

- - - Updated - - -

The vaccums that plug into skimmer, will thy get the leaves? Seems it would clog something somewhere?

14. Back To Top    #14

The vaccums that plug into skimmer, will thy get the leaves? Seems it would clog something somewhere?
    yeah, they do get caught.... IN the skimmer basket! That way they don't go thru the plumbing or get to your filter. Putting a skimmer sock in the basket makes it even better.

Maddie
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

15. Back To Top    #15

In the Industry

These are best in that class of vacuum.

This is just for a picture, you may find a better deal elsewhere.

Jandy Pro Series Leaf Master - Fine Mesh Bag | MKM Pool Spa
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy/Zodiac, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak (Rheem, Rudd), Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.