Question about winterizing skimmer and return lines

Re: How do I keep water out of my skimmer?

Is the skimmer drain-hole blocked off? For mine last year, the closing company just put an empty plastic gallon jug into each. We had a very hard freeze and no issues at all. There was water draining into the skimmer from both rain and snow-melt. I did, however, dump around 2 cups of anti-freeze into each skimmer since there was some left anyway after they left. I never checked if the water in the skimmer froze though. They fully guarantee against freeze damage so I would guess they wouldn't do something that would result in them having to make a repair.

Is there a way to keep water out of the skimmer?

Water will enter the skimmer after closing. Somehow it always gets in there. There is no need for alarm as the Gizzmo and/or other methods (like pool noodles, bottles of antifreeze), are designed for expansion and this is the reason why they are used. The only true way to keep water out of the skimmer housing to keep the water level below the skimmers and siphon out occasionally.

I would not bother trying to seal up the skimmer housing completely. Some members have used what I believe is called an "Aquador" to try to completely seal water out, but entirely up to you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.