can someone tell me how many gallons my pool is?

JasonLion said:
I get 14800 gallons. There is a pool volume calculator, and several other handy calculators, in my Pool Calculator. See the link in my signature.

using your calculator, using the round which ignores length, I have an 18ft Intex pool round and I have it filled to almost 48in, and it tells me it's 7600 gallons, but on the box it says it's 6280.

My calculator does a little rounding, but it should always be within 100 gallons. The actual dimensions of the pool might be different from what you think they are or they might be assuming that you don't fill it as full.

ktdave just gave the equation, except that it is closer to 7.48051945 gallons per cubic foot and I use 3.14159 for pi.

JasonLion said:
My calculator does a little rounding, but it should always be within 100 gallons. The actual dimentions of the pool might be different from what you think they are or they might be assuming that you don't fill it as full.

ktdave just gave the equation, except that it is closer to 7.48051945 gallons per cubic foot and I use 3.14159 for pi.

but, I'm basing my adding chlorine on your calculator and I'm using 6280 as my gallons...when I used your calculator to figure how much CYA to add, from 0, and I wanted to go to 30, it told me 1.75 pounds and it was dead on, using 6280...

so, that's why I'm confused.

rpgman said:
using your calculator, using the round which ignores length, I have an 18ft Intex pool round and I have it filled to almost 48in, and it tells me it's 7600 gallons, but on the box it says it's 6280.

The Intex capacity is not filled to 48". I have an Intex 15' round pool and mine is listed at 4400 gallons but they also say that is filled to some capacity less than 100%. I don't remember what the figure is offhand.

crokett said:
rpgman said:

The Intex capacity is not filled to 48". I have an Intex 15' round pool and mine is listed at 4400 gallons but they also say that is filled to some capacity less than 100%. I don't remember what the figure is offhand.

right, so if the box says 6280, but his calculator states 7600, what is correct?

I think the box is cause I'm using 6280 (which I know I'm not filled to capicity), and I'm adding bleach every night and if I need to bump up the chlorine, it's dead on. If i was using 7600 as my number, my readings would be off.

rpgman said:
but, I'm basing my adding chlorine on your calculator and I'm using 6280 as my gallons...when I used your calculator to figure how much CYA to add, from 0, and I wanted to go to 30, it told me 1.75 pounds and it was dead on, using 6280...

The tests are not exact, the volume is not exact, nothing is exact. The CYA test is something like +-15 ppm, so it could really be anywhere from 15 to 45, a much larger range than the uncertanty on the volume.

Using my pool calculator, moving CYA from 0 to 30 give 1.75 lbs for volumes between 6800 and 7100 gallons.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
rpgman said:
right, so if the box says 6280, but his calculator states 7600, what is correct

I did some searching. They both are. The difference is Imperial vs US Gallons. This site: http://www.poolandspachemicals.co.uk/volcalc.htm lists the volume of your pool at 6340 Imperial gallons and 7614 U.S and my 15 footer at 4403 and 5287, respectively. The 4403 is close enough to the 4400 Intex says it is and the 2nd number agrees with Jason. This is good to know cause it means I have to revise the amount of water in my pool up some. I only have it partially full and I was basing my figure off of Intex's. I've got closer to 3000 gallons than the 2600 I though. It sucks for all the people who don't know this though and are not using enough chemicals. Maybe Jason can add something for Imperial?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.