possible hazzard with trichlor tabs

tmtklt

Jul 29, 2009
Mobile, AL
I think I've made a boo boo with some trichlor tabs. I dont use these full time (see signature for other pool details), but only every once in a while to build up my stablizer level just a tad. I hate using the granular stablizer because it takes forever for it to melt. Anyway, I'll come right to the point...I had some of these in a floater and didn't need to use the entire 3 tabs I had in the floater so I put them back in the tub with the new tabs. They may have been a little damp still when I put them in there last time. Today I opened the container and an extremely overwhelming smell knocked me back two feet and burned my eyes like crazy. The odd thing is that when I picked one up, it was slightly warm. Now, I'm worried I'm going to create some kind of reaction I wont be able to control. So, what do I need to do? Is there a danger lurking in my shop? I left the top off so it can air out.

Thanks for any help.

Once trichlor tabs get wet or damp, they're going to start releasing chlorine and potentially cause a reaction to other material or chemicals in the surrounding area. Potentially serious consequences. If there's no place you can leave the container to dry out with the lid off (far away from people, cars, bicycles, clean-up rags and other chemicals) I would consider this a bio-hazard and bring it to your local hazardous waste disposal center.

Not much chance of anything drying out down here since we've gotten 9.5 inches of rain since Saturday morning.

Its much better since I took the lid off. Fortunately, it was the small tub of tabs. Our shop is fairly large and I've got 4 windows partially open. There's no gas stored in there, only what gas is already in the boat. There are some other chemicals (typical garage stuff) but I think its okay now. I've checked on it since the last post and I can't smell the chlorine any more. I removed the partially used ones earlier. I will be sure to check on it before leaving for work tomorrow. When I put the lid back on tomorrow evening and its still reacting, I will get rid of them like you suggested.

I really didn't know it would do that. Lesson learned...and not feeling very smart now! :hammer: Oh, well.

I'm a pooly newbie...but I work in the waste disposal industry. If they have started to react and break down, I would consider it household hazardous waste and take it to the local recycling agency. Its probably a fairly low risk but you don't want it hanging around.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.