Alternatives to vinyl??

Jun 3, 2008
I have a 3 yr old inground pool with 25 mil vinyl liner. I've had a few leaks in the past years and frankly I'm ready for something a little more durable.
I really have no idea what options there are, if any, after the fact.
Can anyone offer some suggestions? (besides finding a competent installer?)
Thanks,
Dan
N. Carolina

Hi, Dan,

There are no suitable alternatives for your pool. Your only viable path is to tackle the issues that caused the punctures in the first place. Sorry to bear bad news.....someone else may have a thought but any cure might be prohibitively expensive.

Is your chemistry within range for a vinyl pool? If you experience wide swings in your levels, it will drastically shorten the life of your liner. A vinyl liner can last for many years if your water is maintained properly!

Good luck in your search for a better installer...

Well thanks to this forum, I'm now a water chemistry guru, so no issues there!
It looks like I'll have to find a decent contractor and babysit a new liner installation. Maybe that'll help!
Thanks,
Dan

Hi Dan.

Since the chemistry isn't the issue, I'd like to look further into why the liner has failed a few times. It could be as simple as sharp debris behind the liner. An auto cleaner would tend to exasperate this issue.

If you'd like any input from me on insuring that the new liner will last as long as it should, feel free to ask :) There's a goodly number of members that check in regularly throughout the winter, so any questions you have won't fall on deaf ears :cool:

Where in the liner have the holes been? If they are along the edges where the wall meets the floor, check your brush for nicks and sharp edges. Don't use a skimming net to scoop leaves of the floor. Use a leaf net that has a soft rubber edge, not the hard plastic type which are better for concrete and fiberglass pools. Don't use a vacuum head meant for gunite and F/G pools. While the wheels make them easy to use, the corners can get you a nicked and the suction is too close to the liner, stressing it. Use a vac head meant for vinyl. It will have brushes on the bottom.

Scott
PoolGuyNJ

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.