How often to clean filter

lborne

Jun 29, 2009
Vero Beach, FL
Is there any reason to clean a filter cartridge if the pressure has not gone up? With our screen enclosure we are not getting any debris in the pool and the filter pressure has not gone up 1 psi in over 2 months. Should I wait until I see a significant 5-10 psi increase or clean it on a schedule regardless?

I will clean mine twice a year usually, not using the filter pressure as the complete guide on when to break it down and clean it. This is because I don't really have complete and total trust in the gauge. Filter pressure gauges are relatively cheap items and are not scientific grade instruments.

If you haven't done it in a while and have the time, might as well go ahead and do it. You know that it is doing it's job and collecting debris. I can usually tell when mine in getting to that point by how well my water appears to be circulating in the pool.

257WbyMag said:
I will clean mine twice a year usually, not using the filter pressure as the complete guide on when to break it down and clean it. This is because I don't really have complete and total trust in the gauge. Filter pressure gauges are relatively cheap items and are not scientific grade instruments.

If you haven't done it in a while and have the time, might as well go ahead and do it. You know that it is doing it's job and collecting debris. I can usually tell when mine in getting to that point by how well my water appears to be circulating in the pool.

Hi
I'm little interested how many months per year you have your pool open with that regime?

//Mats

Mats,

Since we live in Texas and our winters are mild when compared to places to the north, my pool is never closed.

We do have heavy pollenation in the spring along with some dusty spring storms. So what I do is clean the filter cartridges toward the end of May and then once again in November.

PoolGuyNJ said:
Please remember that skin oils and lotions get into the cartridges. The should be soaked at least annually in TSP to degrease them.

Scott
PoolGuyNJ
Not needed if you threaten prospective pool guests with death and torture should they enter the pool without a shower first -- and proactively forbid the use of lotions, suntan oils and face creams. No exceptions.

polyvue said:
PoolGuyNJ said:
Please remember that skin oils and lotions get into the cartridges. The should be soaked at least annually in TSP to degrease them.

Scott
PoolGuyNJ
Not needed if you threaten prospective pool guests with death and torture should they enter the pool without a shower first -- and proactively forbid the use of lotions, suntan oils and face creams. No exceptions.

YIKES :shock: My pool would never get used by me if I forbade the use of "lotions, suntan oils and face creams". DH rarely uses the pool. But, in summer, I'm in and out all day, especially when the temps are above 90 F and approaching 100 F (or above) and I'm working outside (I'm outside most of the day in summer), I stay covered with sunscreen on face, neck, shoulders, and non-Deet (Cutter Advanced is the absolute best) bug spray, from head to toes, and (Deep Woods Off-Deet, on legs, hands and arms, when working much away from pool decking or decks) . I get in and out of the pool frequently, to cool off, and then have to respray the bug spray. I'm the mosquito and chigger magnet for the this whole area. :rant:

I'm very blond and fair and put on lots more suntan lotion when I'm going to spend much time in the pool or have to be in the sun for any length of time. When working, in the sun, I spend as much time following shadows as possible so don't need full body coverage for sun screening (always hat with back of neck protection). I use light sunscreen 24/7 year round on face and neck but in summer when we need extra protection we use a baby sun lotion that is similar to a sport lotion that is pretty resistant to water and sweat so doesn't seem to leave much residue in pool AND it doesn't sting eyes. What I do here is keep some non-scented sun protection, of different types, for anyone to use, if they need sun protection. That way I can choose the products that are least likely to come off in water and foul the filter.

With the dogs in and out of the pool all day, our dusty/silty environment, and extreme heat, I have to backwash very often (DE) and in summer the pump runs at least 12 hrs a day, with cleaners running almost that long. The DE filter is probably the only way to go for us. Cartridge would require cleaning too often and sand wouldn't filter out the extremely fine silt.

Our spa does use a cartridge filter. It is used heavily year round and we don't shower before using. In winter it is our main way to exfoliate and daily "shower". (BTW.... we keep personal, moist wipes (unscented Costco Brand, baby wipes) in all bathrooms and go through a case a month so bottoms are relatively clean all the time. Also use them for quick all over bath when in a hurry.) BUT... when heavily used I may change the spa cartridge out daily (have four to exchange out). I can see here where oils would be a problem for any cartridge filter whether pool or spa. If my pool was as heavily used as my spa (human hours) I would probably be cleaning the cartridge every couple of weeks. Backwashing is so much less hassle and, in the case of DE filter (we use cellulose instead of DE) most of the oils and dirt are captured by the filter media and washed out during a backwash.

gg=alice

Well, my girls understand and obey my commandments and they still seem to have a good time. The adults are incredulous when I lay down the "law" until they realize I'm not joking! And some of my friends just hope I die an untimely death... and leave the house and pool to them. :oops:

My wife uses suntan lotion and it definitely is the largest component of what gets cleaned out in the filter, along with cedar needles that slip through the various drains and baskets. She uses the pool almost every day for around 7 months (and I use it at least one day on most weekends). I only clean the filter once a year, but it's oversized at 340 square feet (4 cartridges @ 85 square feet each) for my 16,000 gallon pool. The pool has a mostly opaque electric pool cover so stays relatively clean (see here and here).

Hmm, cleaner cartridges except for the skin oils or skin cancer for my kids. Many sunblocks are waterproof/water resistant. Soak the cartridges, they'll last longer. It's not a big deal to do but expensive not to in more ways than one.

Scott
PoolGuyNJ

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.