Noisy Pump ?

Oct 15, 2018
Texas
Hi everyone,

My pool pump has recently got very noisy and the filter is showing lower pressure than usual. I assumed that the pump was on its way out.

However when turning the return valve to 100% returning back to the pool, or 100% returning back to the spa, the pump quietens down to normal and the pressure in the filter tank returns. If the return valve is 50/50 to the pool and spa, or anything in between the noise on the pump returns and pressure drops.

What's going on.... please help

ET

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

If you open both the pool and the spa returns, then there is less resistance, so it is normal for the pressure to drop ... the flow rate should stay the same or perhaps even increase some.

As for the noise ... likely also related to the amount of head loss in the return lines changing the noise level. Of course, just changing the valves to lessen the noise is not resolving the root of the problem which is likely bearing issues.

If you open the pool and spa returns, you get more flow than if you only open the pool or spa returns.

If you’re getting problems with increased flow, I would suspect that you might have a suction side problem.

First, check the water level in the pool. If it’s low, the increased flow might cause the skimmer to suck dry and cause the pump to lose prime. Check to make sure that the weir (skimmer door) is operating correctly and not sticking in the up position.

Problems appearing with increased flow might be a clogged suction line causing the pump to cavitate. Check to make sure that the skimmer and pump baskets are clean and the skimmer holes are not clogged.

Another possible issue is a suction side air leak. Check to make sure that the pump lid is clean and lubricated and has a good gasket. Check for air leaks by having someone turn off the pump while you watch for water squirts or drips near the suction plumbing.

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

- pool water level is okay
- skimmer door operating correctly
- skimmer and pump baskets clean
- skimmer holes appear free of debris and clear
- no visible leaks

could well be the bearings, however I've never had good luck with pumps and probably change them out every 2 to 3 years...

Thank you!

When you say that the pressure drops, from what to what?

Does the pump basket fill with air when the problem happens?

Look in the skimmer to see the amount of flow both ways for comparison. How much difference is there?

Feel the flow out of the return both ways for comparison. How much difference is there?

For the suction, what valves are open?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.