Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Drained pool and winterized but need to drain again...HELP

1. Back To Top    #1

Drained pool and winterized but need to drain again...HELP

This is the first year I've had a pool and need some help with it. I have a 25,000 gal. saltwater inground pool that I drained and winterized around 2 months ago (used plugs on the returns and gizmos in the skimmers). The Noreaster that went through here along with the other rain has filled my pool back up to about a foot below the top of the liner so I'm thinking I need to drain it again.

My current plan is to drain the pool back down by setting the valve to the main drain and pumping to waste. I don't plan on removing the plugs or gizmos when I do this. Once I have it pumped back down I will drain the pump and blow the main drain line back out with my air compressor. Does this make sense to everyone???

I REALLY appreciate any help anyone can give me.
    30,000 Gallon Inground, Vinyl Liner
    DE Filter & Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair Legend Platinum w/ PB4 Booster

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Drained pool and winterized but need to drain again...HELP

Quote Originally Posted by jobondur
    This is the first year I've had a pool and need some help with it. I have a 25,000 gal. saltwater inground pool that I drained and winterized around 2 months ago (used plugs on the returns and gizmos in the skimmers). The Noreaster that went through here along with the other rain has filled my pool back up to about a foot below the top of the liner so I'm thinking I need to drain it again.

My current plan is to drain the pool back down by setting the valve to the main drain and pumping to waste. I don't plan on removing the plugs or gizmos when I do this. Once I have it pumped back down I will drain the pump and blow the main drain line back out with my air compressor. Does this make sense to everyone???
    Welcome to the forum, jobondur...

That sounds like a lot of work. If this were my pool, I would use a submersible pump (available for less than $100 from home centers and larger hardware stores) and a garden hose to draw down the water level. That way you won't have to re-do all of that closing work already accomplished.
    14,555 gal in-ground 16'x29' white plaster Pool w/spa (2007); Goldline Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 control w/Aqua Cell 15 Salt Water Chlorination (SWCG); Hayward TriStar 1HP (1.85 SF) main / 1.5HP (1.60 SF) spa pumps; Hayward Swimclear cart filter C4025, ColorLogic LED lights; Tankless SP-18-4 electric heater; Polaris 280 cleaner.
    __
    View of spiral galaxy in Ursa Major NGC6217 - Hubble Telescope 2009

3. Back To Top    #3

Would it really be that much work? Provided I pump to waste the only thing I would need to do afterwards would be to pull two drain plugs on the pump and then put the air compressor on the pump fitting and blow it until the main drain starts bubbling, right? Or am I missing something?

4. Back To Top    #4

If you have a tile line on your pool, then buy a step pump. If you have a liner of fiberglass pool and no tile, the excess will slowly drain at the skimmer where it meets it's extension collar.

Scott
    PoolGuyNJ
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

5. Back To Top    #5

I just went and bought a 1/4 HP 1800 GPH submersible pump from Northern Tool for $18. It was advertised on their website for $40 but rang up a lot cheaper so I'll be trying that method tomorrow after work (if it's not raining again).

Once I do that do I need to fool with the chemistry or just wait till spring? When I winterized I used one of the kits that comes with all the chemicals. Thanks.

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome to TFP!!

IMO - your original plan would have worked fine

However, it's probably a good thing you got the pump and a good idea to use that, now that you have it especially since it cost you less that expected

Once this is dealt with, please read Pool School and find even more great advice concerning your pool

We all welcome you here and truly want your pool ownership to be trouble free so that you can concentrate more on using the pool, rather than fighting to keep it usable

Winter is a great time to get our attention to your specific pool concerns and I hope to see you here over the 'frozen months'
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)