purging after storage

dlleno

Sep 9, 2016
denver, CO
Greetings all,

I have completed another purge experiment -- this time to determine if it is necessary to purge a Spa that has been in storage -- if you know that it was clean prior. The short answer is "yes" ,but if you would like to see the details of my work, I wrote up the story on my hobby photography site (below) . Even though I purged with Ahh-some prior to storage, the results I obtained confirmed that biofilms likely formed while the spa was in storage, no doubt due to warm summer weather. Also, while this was a very extreme case (two years) I believe these results confirm that wet testing at the factory, followed by transportation and storage delays prior to reaching the customer, is likely to produce biofilms if the environmental temperatures are warm enough. Naturally, most of us here already know this, but I thought you would find the experiment informative.

https://boisediesel.com/blog/2018/10/purge-after-storage

Thanks for posting your experience.
It is possible that your plumbing was not fully cleaned after the last purge, who knows. How about verification using a spa plumbing cam? ;)
Regardless, your results confirm the need to do a purge after storage and before the final fill on a new spa.
I too purged, drained, cleaned, and removed all the water from my spa prior to storing it for the summer.
I have yet to open my spa due to warm fall weather but do intend to fill, purge and clean my spa prior to the final fill.
I will post what I find. Thanks again for posting.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.