Replacement filter shorter??

Oct 9, 2018
Kansas City MO
So I got my box of replacement jet parts and filters. I ordered FC-0303 filters that measured the same length as the old filters that came in the tub, 8.5” long. What they sent me is P5CH-203A filters. While it says they replace the FC-0303 right on the label of these filters, these P5CH-23A filters are only 7”, so they are an inch and a half shorter. They are the same diameter however.

Are these ok to use? I’m worried they aren’t going to flow properly and cause flow errors?? I ordered six of these things, the tub takes 3 and that gives me set to swap between cleanings.

I’m just not sure if that 1.5” is enough of a difference that it matters even though the label says it’s a direct replacement.

Thanks in advance!

I would say it's hard for anyone to decide if the difference will cause a problem without seeing your hot tub / spa filter setup. I know in our stand alone hot tub, this would not create a problem. As it uses two filters stacked on top of each other inside a square tube and a plate with two holes interfaces on the top filter element. So, if the filter stack is 1.5" shorter, or even .5" taller, the plate will simply sit at a different height within the enclose tube. However, all of the water will still have to be pulled through the plate and through the filters so there would be no change in function. If the 1.5" shorter height causes enough of a restriction in flow to give you an error I would say your tub was already operating too close to minimum flow parameters for other reasons than the filter.

Thanks for the reply! I went ahead and used the first 3. Its been up and running since sunday, and so far no errors. Hopefully it holds out! They did say on the packaging they were a direct replacement. My tub is old so it just has a portion of the shell that extends back under the lip with the three filters exposed into the body of the tub. No separate compartment really, just a plastic plate that keeps you from really seeing the filters.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.