Hayward Ecostar 3400 VSP squealing @ 14 months old

Delay

Mar 16, 2016
Perry, Ga.
Is there a way to replace the bearings in a Hayward Ecostar 3400VSP pump? I bought this pump in August 2017 and it’s already squealing very loud. Looks like Hayward only warranties the pump for 1 year, which means I’m over by 2 months. I can’t believe a 1K pump went bad that fast. I’m currently running it on a very low rpm until I can figure out what to do. Any help or suggestions will be very appreciated. Thanks

I don't know but I can bump it for you. Who did you purchase the pump from ??

I bought it new from Amazon. I haven’t tried calling Hayward to see if they can help out yet. I had some issues with LED Lights last year and they were not very friendly or helpful with those so I’m assuming they will be the same with this. This is actually my second Hayward pool pump in 3 years. The first one the drive went bad at year 2. ?

If you paid by by credit card, the credit card company will probably double your warranty to 2 years.
Thanks

Does anyone have suggestions for a similar size pump from another manufacturer? I think my days of buying Hayward equipment are at its end. My pool is 3 years old and was built with all Hayward equipment. Not including the price of the original equipment I’ve spent 2k on replacing Hayward Lights and Pumps that have failed so far. Now I need to spend another 1K on a pump bringing the total to $3,000 in 3 yrs. And everything failed very soon after the warranty was over.

Not to mention a Hayward sales guy got very rude with me 6 months ago on the phone about my LEDs that blew out. I was just asking questions trying to find out what would blow them all by installing a new one. All that did was make me start trying to find the cause even more.

After lots of research I find that now they sale a snubber with their LED transformer to prevent the voltage spikes from blowing your lights. Although they claim it’s to prevent noise that causes your GFCI breaker to trip. �� This is very dishonest for a company not to own up to their transformers blowing their lights. I did my homework and the snubbers are not for breaker problems. They are for the spikes coming out the load side of their transformer. I checked the voltages on my Hayward transformer and they were spiking from 14V while turned on to 44V at the moment the lights are turned off. That voltage spike is exactly what blew three $300 LEDs. I’m surprised there hasn’t been some kind of class action suit over this.

Ok. My rant is over. Although I will feel the $3000 sting for a long time.

Delay,

When you had your pool installed, who did you buy all of the first round of equipment and who installed it?

Next, since you do not have automation, you can purchase any type of pump. The pump of choice is the Pentair intelliflo VSP. The Hayward EcoStar has been known for a variety of problems, esp the controller that fails. Hayward, as well as most vendors, don't like online purchases or DIY installs. this is to protect their dealers on installs and margins and promote higher cost sales via their dealers. However, the internet is changing this.

You can contact Hayward direct and see what they will do, but if nothing, then go w Pentair. make sure you ask all of the warranty questions on how long and under what circumstances. AND, GET IT ALL IN WRITING with names and locations before you spend a dime...VSP offer better "potential savings" but have a lot more inherent problems...risk reward. I'm on my 3 Ecostar in 3 yrs, and 2nd or 3rd controller, but all covered by warranty. It doesn't remove the endless worry of failure and thus a green pool...Good luck and sorry for your pain....

Delay,

When you had your pool installed, who did you buy all of the first round of equipment and who installed it?

Next, since you do not have automation, you can purchase any type of pump. The pump of choice is the Pentair intelliflo VSP. The Hayward EcoStar has been known for a variety of problems, esp the controller that fails. Hayward, as well as most vendors, don't like online purchases or DIY installs. this is to protect their dealers on installs and margins and promote higher cost sales via their dealers. However, the internet is changing this.

You can contact Hayward direct and see what they will do, but if nothing, then go w Pentair. make sure you ask all of the warranty questions on how long and under what circumstances. AND, GET IT ALL IN WRITING with names and locations before you spend a dime...VSP offer better "potential savings" but have a lot more inherent problems...risk reward. I'm on my 3 Ecostar in 3 yrs, and 2nd or 3rd controller, but all covered by warranty. It doesn't remove the endless worry of failure and thus a green pool...Good luck and sorry for your pain....

Thanks tstex!

I built my own pool and bought all of my equipment from a pool company that was owned by family. He since closed shop and even he agrees that Hayward is a crummy company to do business with. This isn’t the 80’s anymore. Online sales are where the profits are and if you live by the sword you will die by it. These big pool manufacturers try to force you to pay someone else to do something you can do yourself. Then they punish you for it by giving you a warranty that only lasts 1 year. I can build a pool better than most pool companies will. I’m picky and I do not cut corners to save costs. Nor will I use cheaper sub par materials because I need to under bid someone else to get the job.

My my only mistake was not doing my research on the equipment manufacturers reputation and customer service. Now that I know from first hand experience, I see negative reviews and comments on them everywhere. If they don’t start putting quality into their products and standing by them when the occasional happens they will not be around another 10 yrs. Like I said I don’t mind paying more for quality.

Again Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.