Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Preparing for vacation

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

Preparing for vacation

I'll be away from home for about 4 days and am planning to put a couple of trichlor sticks in the skimmer. I know trichlor is acidic and tends to deplete alk; how high should I raise the TA and pH before I go?

My TA is currently at the low end of the usual recommended range (about 80) and my pH tends to creep up. I often have to add acid, almost never need to raise the pH. I thought I'd raise the TA to 110 or 120 with washing soda. . . too much, not enough?

TIA for advice. . .
    ~Jules~

My pool: INDOOR 13x27 rectangular fiberglass, built ~2001, BBB, TA-60 sand filter, Hayward two speed pump (1 hp/0.33 hp), 3/4 hp booster pump for solar heater
    Taylor K-2006 test

2. Back To Top    #2
    For just four days away there is no need to raise TA that much. If your PH tends to go up slowly anyway I would just get PH up to 7.7-7.8 and leave it at that. Raising TA by 10 wouldn't hurt anything and you will probably have to do that eventually anyway.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

I have now returned from my trip, having raised the FC to about 8 before I left and popping two trichlor tabs in the skimmer basket. Also raised my alk to ~100 before I left.

When I opened the door to the pool house, I was greeted with a noticeable chlorine odor. That worried me, so I tested for CC's, and they weren't elevated. The FC was at 11, tho! Alk was still right around 100, and my estimated pH seemed ok. I didn't attempt to adjust it, knowing my reading would be influenced by the high chlorine.

The two trichlor tabs were completely gone.

As I expected, the water temp had dropped (to about 77-78), so I didn't swim last night upon my return. It's been pretty much overcast today, so I don't know if the solar has warmed up the water any. I hope I hope!!
    ~Jules~

My pool: INDOOR 13x27 rectangular fiberglass, built ~2001, BBB, TA-60 sand filter, Hayward two speed pump (1 hp/0.33 hp), 3/4 hp booster pump for solar heater
    Taylor K-2006 test

4. Back To Top    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by giulietta1
    I have now returned from my trip, having raised the FC to about 8 before I left and popping two trichlor tabs in the skimmer basket. Also raised my alk to ~100 before I left.

When I opened the door to the pool house, I was greeted with a noticeable chlorine odor. That worried me, so I tested for CC's, and they weren't elevated. The FC was at 11, tho! Alk was still right around 100, and my estimated pH seemed ok. I didn't attempt to adjust it, knowing my reading would be influenced by the high chlorine.

The two trichlor tabs were completely gone.

As I expected, the water temp had dropped (to about 77-78), so I didn't swim last night upon my return. It's been pretty much overcast today, so I don't know if the solar has warmed up the water any. I hope I hope!!
    how in the world is your water temp only at 77?
    Brian
    20K IG Gunite w/ raised 7ft spillover spa. 1.5 HP Hayward Northstar pump 425 sq ft Hayward cartridge filter, Colorlogic lights AquaRite SWG AquaLogic PS-8 control
    1hp pump for sheer descent