CYA readings

iamtexmax

Bronze Supporter
May 25, 2018
Austin
Hello all,

So finally I had my pool school done yesterday (done by a pool maintenance contractor that the PB sources out to) - at the end I asked him to take readings - (initially at startup stage he had dumped a lid full of cya in the skimmer) - I told him my cya readings was way below 20 (maybe even 10) - he did the test with his kit (he has a taylor kit) - the first time he got 50 - second time he got 30 - he asked me to do my test in front of him - I showed him mine and we could still see the dot (with my TF test kit) at 20.

So he went back and pulled out a new bottle of Cya test reagent (said this does not expire till end of 2018) - and his test showed up 40. I asked the pool guy is why we are having such a discrepancy between his test and mine - he told me to take the pool water to Leslies for testing

What am I doing wrong..? I am following the instructions - do I need to cya now that the pool has been handed over to me

(the pH and FC readings were in the same ball park with the pool guy and my tests)

Thank you!

i,

The CYA test is somewhat subjective, but is impossible to not to be able to tell the difference between 50 and 0...

Just to make sure... You are mixing half pool water and half CYA reagent in the little bottle and then waiting 30 seconds. Mixing again and then adding the mixture to the graduated test tube. If you can still see the dot with the tube at waist level and the tube filled to the 20 ppm mark, then you have less than 20 ppm of CYA in your pool.

Did your "Instructor's" kit use the disappearing dot method?

This time a year, having low CYA will not a be much of an issue. So you have time to figure it out.

Was the mixture cloudy at all, or did it look clear?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hi Jim - thanks for responding - I am doing the test as per written instructions - fill the cya bottle upto bottom of label with pool water - fill cya reagent to top of label - mix - wait 30 secs - mix again - water is slightly cloudy but can definitely see the dot even at the 20 mark

the pool guy also used the disappearing dot method - and he showed it to me...i could not see the dot at 40 in his test

ps: he said i could avoid this by using tabs in the chlorinator (which i told him i was opposed)

There is no shame in pouring the sample back in the mixing bottle and repeating the test. Do it a dozen times. Two dozen if you must. My rule of thumb is three tests in a row within a ten point spread. And for the nitpickers, yes, I know the scale is logarithmic, but for simplicity's sake, if I get 45, 48, and 52, I'd consider the test done and call it 50. If I get 35, 45, and 48, I need to keep testing.

I hold the tube down at waist level, using only thumb and forefinger at the top of the viewtube. Yes, holding it with three fingers and thumb will change the reading, even though it feels most natural. I do it on the patio, so I get bright light reflecting off the concrete. Generally, I'm sideways to the sun, not back to it. The key is to avoid any reflection on the surface of the sample.

If you continue to have problems, order the CYA standard solution when you order reagent refills. It is a known 50 ppm sample. You adjust your testing procedure until you consistently read 50. Then do exactly the same with a sample of pool water.

i,

I have no idea what the problem is, but if you could not see the dot with his test, but could see the dot with your test, something is just not right.

I would order new CYA reagent as well as the CYA standard and see how that works.. The cost would be small and it would give you some confidence in your testing and test kit..

It does not sound like a problem with the way you are testing to me... I can understand having a hard time determining between a CYA level of 50 and 40, but not 0 and 50..

The CYA standard will allow you to "calibrate" your eyeball to what 50 ppm should look like.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I have ordered new cya reagent and also the cya standard solution just now from TFtestkits that both Richard and Jim have suggested....do I need to be worried abt my cya levels till these come?

Also question on "cya standard" - are there any instructions on how do I go about using it?

i,

No instructions... you just pretend that the "standard" is a sample of the pool water. So you add it to the bottle up to the label and then add the reagent.. Follow the normal directions and your test should show 50 ppm.. or at least close to 50...

I would not worry about your actual CYA level at this time of year. Just to make sure, I would run my FC at about 5 ppm...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Received my package from TFP - cya standard and new cya reagent (in addition I also bought the pH meter - have not used that yet) - tested using new cya reagent - cya test shows below 20 (maybe 10) - decided to take a sample to Leslies just to verify my readings using my TF100 Test kit:

From Leslies:

FC - 2.5 (my reading was 3)
CH - 100 (my reading was 250)
cya - 0 (my reading less than 20 - maybe 10)
TA - 50 (my reading 70)
pH - 7.8 (my reading 7.8)
Copper - 0
Iron - 0
Phosphates - 200

Guy was insistent that I bring my TA up otherwise will have problems - from the above - do you think I have any issues other than my cya (which I plan to add today using TFP sock method)
Regarding TA - test; I keep adding drops till color does not change at all (according to pool school) - initially turns pink at 60 and then turns brighter pink/red at 70 and at 80 there is no change

Do I need to worry about phosphates (I don't have any test for that - just going off what the leslies guy told me)

Asked me how I was chlorinating my pool - told me to buy Liquid Chlorine from them - told me stay away from buying from Home Depot and HEB as I will run into major problems (any thoughts on that)

Lastly did not buy anything - thanked him and walked out

decided to take a sample to Leslies just to verify my readings
That's most always a bad idea. Trust your own results. Leslies will be the one in error 95 times out of 100.

I would suggest you ignore ALL that advice, bring your CYA up to around 30-40, and continue to do your own testing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yeah, I hit-up HEB for their regular Bravo all the time. It's still 8.25% strength at $2.94 a gallon. Not bad. Buy some duct tape, a shovel, and ski mask while you're at it just for the looks. :crazy:

Seriously though, get the regular. NOT scented or splashless stuff.

Thank you all for the responses - was adding the cya using the sock method and noticed a 2-3 black spots on the walls of my pool - I was hoping it was not algae - tried to pick up one with my skimmer tool but it fell to the bottom - however there was one which was closer so I used a glove and picked it off the wall - pic attached - any idea what this is - looks like some kind of insect/organism?(I did brush my pool yesterday and the pool cleaner runs every day for 1 hr)

Attachments

• IMG_2683.jpg
    IMG_2683.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 49
Ahhhhh, just like all the insects and critters that find our pool, it's hard to fight nature. You could try various sprays or granules around the perimeter of your pool area to see if that helps. It's possible the rain has brought more of them out. They always seem to fall to the bottom in my pool, probably because they can't grip the shell.

Welcome to the world of "what's THAT in my pool/skimmer"! Rollie Pollies, also called pill bugs, like moist areas like piles of leaves and grass clippings. The rains are partly to blame. Brush the pool walls and your pool cleaner will grab them up, or you can net them. Harmless.

Some big box home improvement stores keep their liquid chlorine out in the sun and heat which will degrade it. If you decide to buy from them, check for freshness dates on the bottle that have something like 18 270. Means approx. Sept. (270 days) of 2018. Use your chlorinator with tabs for vacation or times you’re away without someone to add liquid chlorine. You can manage your CYA by lowering it with water exchange, if needed, to accomodate tab usage.

Congrats on the new pool!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.