Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG Sizing

1. Back To Top    #1

SWG Sizing

Hello all,

We're thinking of purchasing a SWG for our pool for next year. After perusing TFP I understand that I should size the generator rating for 2-3x our pool volume. The maximum capacity listed for any generator I see is 40k. I'm assuming that I could run two in-line, but I haven't been able to find any information on that.

Is my assumption correct? And if so, is there anything else that I need to think about as far as sizing or install?

Thanks!
    20x40' outdoor inground vinyl pool approx 36,000 gallons
    Sta-Rite Sand Filter w/ 1.5hp pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SWG Sizing

Welcome to the forum..

For a standalone SWCG (no automation) look into a Circupool 60k rated unit. A VS pump would eventually be a great idea for electricity savings.
    6000 Gallon IG Fiberglass with integrated Spa;Pentair CCP240 Cartridge Filter with Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump and HTR250 heater. IC40 SWG. EasyTouch 4. Dolphin Active20 Robot "Roadrunner", TF 100 Test Kit w/SpeedStir!
    CLICK HERE to Become a TroubleFreePool.com Supporter!! Pool Math App
    Marty

3. Back To Top    #3

t,

Welcome to TFP.. A great place to discover the age old question.. "Does size really matter?".....

Here is a link that shows several 60K cells... I too would go with a CircuPool SWG vs. two smaller ones..

Compare and Review Saltwater Chlorine Generator Prices and Features

Thanks,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

4. Back To Top    #4

I installed a CircuPool RJ-60 (60k cell) on my 25k pool this summer. Works well so far (only had for 6 weeks before winterizing). I ran pump approx 12 hours/day, and set output to ~20-30%. Seems nice to have flexibility to fine tune run time and power, instead of having output maxed to try to keep up.
    18x40 IG Roman, 25k Gallon, Vinyl
    Hayward VS Pump & Sand Filter
    CircuPool RJ60 SWCG, AquaCal SQ145 Heat Pump
    SR Smith Diving Board, Interfab Adrenaline Slide
    TF-100 w/ SpeedStir, Dolphin M500 Robot

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you all. I'm not sure how I managed to not find that option.

Variable-speed pump is on my list. We just bought the house with existing pool this year and the single-speed pump was just purchased in 2016, so I can't quite justify replacing it yet, but when the time comes I definitely will.

Thanks again.
    20x40' outdoor inground vinyl pool approx 36,000 gallons
    Sta-Rite Sand Filter w/ 1.5hp pump.