Pros and cons of draining 50,000 gal in ground pool for winter?

Pros and cons of draining 50,000 gal in ground pool for winter?

Hi Nicole—my humble opinion and observation

Pros—the pool water won’t turn green over the winter
—the new water you refill it with won’t have high CYA if you need fresh water to lower CYA

Cons— it could cost a lot, if you have municipal water that is metered to refill
—-depending on the chemistry of the new water you might have to add a bunch of chemicals to balance it properly and this could cost some money
—-if you use a well, it could burn out your pump (that’s a lot of water!) when refilling
—-if there is an issue with the integrity of your pool excavation soils not having water in the pool will not provide the structure to hold up the walls or push down on the bottom of the pool. If there is ground water pushing “up” on the pool bottom it could move or crack the pool bottom
—-it could be more dangerous than if water was in the pool if someone should fall through the pool cover, as your pool must be deep!

That’s what I can think of at the moment. I hope it helps! I am sure others will chime in-Good luck’

Nicole:

For starters, please add your signature.

It is extremely difficult to answer this question without knowing your pool, type of cover, dimensions of the pool, your surroundings, the cost of water, type of structure, your past experience, etc., and why you are asking this question.

I have a friend with a 90,000 gallon pool. The safety cover cost $13,000. After a few years, it ripped and was deemed useless. Since then, the pool is closed for the season & not covered. In the spring, the pool is drained and refilled after a thorough cleaning. As you can see, a liner pool could never be accomplished this way, but a concrete/gunite pool can. Please advise. Thanks!

Please advise on how to add my signature.
Thanks!
Thank you for the information.

We have a couple issues at hand.
1. My elephant cover guy fell through.
2. I need to do tile and cement work in spring.
3. Not too worried about people falling in
4. Just tarp it till next year? Need to close or drain this week
5f653c104b50a41f98a8ecfdde517600.png

Nicole:

How to add your signature:

Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post

Are you 100% positive your pool is 50,000 gallons? It does not appear that large from the picture. How did you derive at the size?

I would just close it, tarp it and call it a day. If you leave open or empty, the amount of leaves in the pool may be too much. Even if you emptied it, there will be rain water and leaves entering from the winds all winter. Then come spring, you can dump the water and make the necessary improvements.

Hmm.... From that pic I doubt you are even close to 50k gallons. Looks like under 20k to me. Why do you think it is 50k?

I agree that it doesn't look anywhere near 45,000 gallons. I seriously doubt that it's 12 or 13 feet deep. It's probably less than 9 feet.

Have you actually measured the length, width and depth?

In any case, leaving a pool drained risks floating the pool or damaging the plaster.

If the plaster heats and cools differently from the concrete, it can cause delamination due to stress induced by expansion and contraction.

I will add my signature thank you so much I appreciate your help. I think it’s 45,000. It is 12 or 13 feet deep and it’s a kidney bean shape. I’m definitely getting on board with just tarping it.
Thanks again

Hi Nicole! My pool is 10 feet at the deepest point and gradually gets shallower to about 3.5 feet. Our pool is 24 feet by 40 feet and that comes to a little over 40,000 gallons. Pool Math will help you calculate the volume of the pool. People tell me that our pool is bigger than most.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.