Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Found a use for the empty bottles of bleach!

1. Back To Top    #1

Found a use for the empty bottles of bleach!

Remnants of Matthew are swinging through our area. Having gone through Florence without issue, we didnít prepare the pool area well enough. I stepped outside this morning just in time to see the wind pick up our gazebo and move it about 3í, despite the 20# weights on each leg.

I ran and caught it until the gust died down. Knew I had to do something as things were just starting. Weight. I needed WEIGHT!

Had 15 or so bottles of bleach on-hand, plus retrieved some from the recycles bin and filled with pool water. Found some thick string in the junk drawer. Hereís the result.

Stay safe yíall!

20x40 in-ground concrete "vintage" pool
    Approx 36k gal
    Concrete, plaster and epoxy paint
    Sand filter
    DIY plaster resurface repairs completed 6/2015.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Found a use for the empty bottles of bleach!

Sweet!

I use bleach bottles to hold down the tarp cover during the winter.

Btw, it’s Michael. Matthew was a couple years ago.

Michael is suppose to hit us tonight. Here’s hoping the wind isn’t too bad. I’m expecting the pool to be a mess tomorrow.
    20k IG vinyl liner/Aqua Rite SWCG, T-15 cell/Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter/Polaris 280 w/booster pump/Hayward Superpump 1 hp/city water/Taylor test kits/pool installed March 2004

3. Back To Top    #3

Hey! Bleach-on-a-leash! You should patent that one.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

I've seen folks use them around above ground pools to help hold the cover in place. I always thought it was a brilliant idea.

Maddie
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

5. Back To Top    #5

I save them and use them to hold the winter cover in place.

That's excellent ingenuity on the spur of the moment!
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/ľhp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Ok, I’ll be the one who says it. Why didn’t you remove the canopy before the storm came in?
    ~Rob
    11,000 gallon in ground plaster pebbletech finish. Hayward Tristar VS, Hayward Swimclear, and Hayward Aquanaut 200 pool vac, K-2006 Kit, Speedstir.
    FC/CYA Chart-Finding a suction side air leak>https://youtu.be/eweIDTnJCUw

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Household6 View Post
    Remnants of Matthew are swinging through our area. Having gone through Florence without issue, we didn’t prepare the pool area well enough. I stepped outside this morning just in time to see the wind pick up our gazebo and move it about 3’, despite the 20# weights on each leg.

I ran and caught it until the gust died down. Knew I had to do something as things were just starting. Weight. I needed WEIGHT!

Had 15 or so bottles of bleach on-hand, plus retrieved some from the recycles bin and filled with pool water. Found some thick string in the junk drawer. Here’s the result.

Stay safe y’all!

How did your pool look today? Ours was full of leaves and twigs/branches...what a mess! No power either; half the city is without power so it’s gonna be awhile.
    20k IG vinyl liner/Aqua Rite SWCG, T-15 cell/Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter/Polaris 280 w/booster pump/Hayward Superpump 1 hp/city water/Taylor test kits/pool installed March 2004

8. Back To Top    #8

Remnants of Matthew are swinging through our area. Having gone through Florence without issue, we didn’t prepare the pool area well enough. I stepped outside this morning just in time to see the wind pick up our gazebo and move it about 3’, despite the 20# weights on each leg.

Had 15 or so bottles of bleach on-hand, plus retrieved some from the recycles bin and filled with pool water. Found some thick string in the junk drawer. Here’s the result.

Stay safe y’all!
    You should anchor that gazebo to the ground. Looks like you have pavers installed so it may be little hard but just an idea.
    In Ground, rectangular with liner, single skimmer, no bottom drain
    Size: 35,000 gallons 20x40 - 4 feet shallow, 9 feet deep end with diamond shape
    Filter/Pump: Brand new (2016) Pentair TA60 Sand / Hayward single speed
    Heater: No - solar blanket

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Arizonarob View Post
    Ok, I’ll be the one who says it. Why didn’t you remove the canopy before the storm came in?
    ‘It’ll be fine’ they said.
    Husband believed them.
    ��

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by erhanuyar View Post
    You should anchor that gazebo to the ground. Looks like you have pavers installed so it may be little hard but just an idea.
    You are preaching to the choir!
    Not pavers, itís a solid slab of concrete.
    Bought the hammer drill to do it.
    Started. Hit rebar. Needed a special bit. Never got finished.

- - - Updated - - -

I must confess I haven’t looked.
    I’m so disgusted my ingenious enginiuity didn’t work.

B0C3D6BC-533B-4B0F-92AB-FFC84FD92D20.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Approx 36k gal
    Sand filter

10. Back To Top    #10

Ugh.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

11. Back To Top    #11

Yikes! If your winds were like ours (67mph gusts here, 80mph over the bay), it’s no wonder they didn’t hold.

12. Back To Top    #12

Doh!!!
    ~Rob
    11,000 gallon in ground plaster pebbletech finish. Hayward Tristar VS, Hayward Swimclear, and Hayward Aquanaut 200 pool vac, K-2006 Kit, Speedstir.
    FC/CYA Chart-Finding a suction side air leak>https://youtu.be/eweIDTnJCUw

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post
    Yikes! If your winds were like ours (67mph gusts here, 80mph over the bay), itís no wonder they didnít hold.
    I doubt it. We are 100 miles inland in Fayetteville, NC. (You prob heard lots about our area in the Florence aftermath).
    Approx 36k gal
    Sand filter

14. Back To Top    #14

I doubt it. We are 100 miles inland in Fayetteville, NC. (You prob heard lots about our area in the Florence aftermath).
    We got real lucky with Florence here (Hampton Roads area). We were expecting lots of rain and tidal flooding, but we didn’t get much of either.