Wheel axle Polaris question

Mar 16, 2017
Roseville, CA
2 weeks ago, we found a front wheel from our 280 on a chair. The net day our pool service people texted my husband that the cleaner was broken and wanted to know if we wanted them to fix it. He said "Can you give me an estimate?" and we haven't had a text reply back. But that Friday we had some seriously heavy winds so I dug out the manual, headed to the pool store and picked up the large axle with guard. I took the unit out of the pool took off the top, and removed the broken plastic piece from under the axle plate. Put the new one in its place all the wheels on the right and left sides seem to engage just fine. Put the top, float, and feeder hose back on and it was cleaning the pool just fine. Last week (they come Wednesday late afternoon) no one mentioned anything about the polaris, and still haven't heard back about the original text for repair. This past weekend it was again super windy, and I assumed that by twilight when I didn't hear the pump running, we had gotten skipped for service this week. An hour ago I heard the pump so I went out to the pool deck and saw the same front wheel sitting on the bottom step. This time the axle the was intact but the axle plate, washers and screws are missing. Did I not tighten them down enough? The lock washers were in pretty rough shape but after a cleaning they seemed serviceable. I cant see any of the parts at all in the pool as it is dark and the light casts some serious shadows. the bag was completely empty so I'm guessing the wheel fell off either as soon as he out it back in the pool or very soon thereafter. Anyone else have this problem or tips on how to make sure it doesn't happen again?

Did the brass inserts, that the 10-32 axle retaining screws thread into, pull or fall out?

I would look at where the axle mounts, if those brass threaded inserts are missing, then you will need a new chassis (frame) or possibly the are stripped or unable to take proper lockdown torque.

Polaris provides a 5 year warranty on this part. If your cleaner is still under that warranty window since you purchased it, contact Polaris Customer Service or take your cleaner to a local Leslie's for repair. If you have any issues or need more guidance, PM me as I work for Polaris (Zodiac) in Vista and can get you to the right person to help you out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.