Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bonding a pump motor without a bonding lug.

1. Back To Top    #1

Bonding a pump motor without a bonding lug.

This is my first post, hope I'm in the right forum. My township informs me I have to bond the above ground pool in my back yard. After doing a lot of reading I think it's a good idea, required or not. The pool is a 16 footer with a pump upgraded to an Intex EC15110-1 sand/saltwater system. It works great, but the pump is a plastic enclosed system and does not have an external bonding lug. Does anyone know of a way to include this motor into the bonding grid? By the NEC codes, does it need to be, or is it isolated by it's construction? If I bond the pool water by using one of those strainer plug bonding devices in the strainer plug hole would I be bonding the pump too? I tried contacting Intex figuring they had to have been asked this one but couldn't find a place to aske a question like this.

Ken
    16ft Coleman on base above grade. Intex ECO15110-1 sand filter/salt water pump system. Approximately 5000 gal. of water.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bonding a pump motor without a bonding lug.

Welcome to TFP!!!

I believe those pumps are double insulated, so there is no need to bond them ... this is true of many above ground pumps that just plug into a wall socket.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the quick reply Jason. So if the motor fails, the grounding lead would trip the GFI breaking the current so as not to energize anything else on the grid?
    16ft Coleman on base above grade. Intex ECO15110-1 sand filter/salt water pump system. Approximately 5000 gal. of water.

4. Back To Top    #4

Honestly, I have no idea how the "double insulated" works

But the pump should certainly be on a GFCI wall outlet.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

A double insulated device is constructed as to have no exposed components that can be conductive in the case of an electrical failure (short) in the unit. If it is double insulated, it will/should have a designation on the data tag or in the owners manual stating this. If this is the case with this pump then there is no requirement to have it part of the bonding grid for the pool.

Dan
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

6. Back To Top    #6

While you are doing the wiring, run the bond wire to the pump site. That way if you ever want to replace the pump with one that requires bonding you are ready to go.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

7. Back To Top    #7

Exception: Metal parts of listed equipment incorporating an approved system of double insulation are not required to be bonded to the equipotential grid.
    (a) Double-Insulated Water Pump Motors. Where a double-insulated water pump motor is installed, a solid 8 AWG copper conductor from the bonding grid must be provided
    for a replacement motor.
    Check to see if the pump is listed as double insulated. If it is double insulated, you don't have to bond it but you do have to provide a bond wire that can be used if a replacement motor is installed that is not double insulated.

If the motor is double insulated, it might not have a bond lug. If it does have a bond lug, connect it to the bonding grid.
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Old power tool with metal case, current can travel through the case, requires ground wire

New power tool with plastic case, current can't travel through the case, no ground wire.

This is the difference with single/double insulated, same with pool pumps.
    Casey
    Intex 24' x 52" closed for winter 2018, 2 Main Drains, 1 Skimmer, 1 Return, PVC
    1/2 HP Intex Pump 633T w/ Taeglus TA-40 175 lb 19.5" Sand Filter, Auqabot Extreme Robot
    TF-50 and Taylor 2006 Test Kits, Quality Well Water, Fleck 5800SXT Water Softener

9. Back To Top    #9

The double insulated symbol is two squares, one inside the other. If the pump is double insulated it should have this symbol or should have the words Double Insulated on the data label.

150px-Double_insulation_symbol.svg.png
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit